Mussel Aware Boater Program

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Vanilla, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Just a reminder as there are some folks getting out on their boats for shooting carp these days about the Mussel Aware Boater Program and the certificate you are REQUIRED to have each time you launch in any water in Utah.

The one you did last year expired 12/31. Have to do a new one each calendar year. Don't only follow the law by having the certificate, but follow the regulations in there to keep our waters free from invasive species!

Here's the link:
    https://dwrapps.utah.gov/wex/dbconnection.jsp?examnbr=505059

2. Carl Taylor

Carl Taylor Senior Refuge Member

Great Reminder! Thanks.....

CT

3. Josh Noble

Josh Noble Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reminder bud!
    I bumped through the course earlier this week.

If you're planning on joining us for the bowfishing tournaments this year you'll be REQUIRED to have this. I know it's a bit inconvenient but the rhyme behind the reason is valid. See you all there!

Josh

4. silversurfer

silversurfer Elite Refuge Member

Thanks just got it done.:sp

5. Utahgreenhead

Utahgreenhead Senior Refuge Member

Does this regulation apply to canoes and motor-less craft?

6. Vanilla

If it floats, it's a vessel. All vessels require this.

7. bubba41

bubba41 Elite Refuge Member

I don't remember seeing anything wma's but is this a requirement for them also?

8. Vanilla

Hopefully this clears up any confusion in regards to what is required and when. If it floats, and you are floating it on any water in Utah, a decontamination certificate is needed. (you'll see if you take the exam certain waters require even more...but I'll let you all figure all that out for yourselves)

You have a couple option for the certificate:

1-You can fill one out each time you launch your vessel (if it floats, it's a vessel) on any water you launch at. The popular places, IE- state parks, may have them on hand for you. They may not. You'd be wise to carry a stack of them with you in case the launch doesn't have them. (the WMA's almost certainly won't have them, along with the lesser used waters)

2- Or you can take this exam, print the certificate, and it's good until 12/31/11. Plus, you'll learn something.

I think doing a little work now to not have to do any the rest of the year is the best option. But I know people who do option 1 as well. Hopefully everyone goes through the exam either way. Not only will you be following the law so you don't get a citation, but hopefully everyone will follow the principles illustrated there as well so we don't pass these invasive suckers around to all our waters around the state. It's not rocket science that these things are spread by boats. Clean your boat as taught in the exam (whether it's a 30 ft Bayliner, a 16 foot MM, a canoe, layout boat, a raft, or a float tube) and we don't have anything to worry about. :tu