My education on leading a goose

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by illinideer, Sep 16, 2020.

1. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted with some solid clay shooters who couldn't hit their azz in the field.

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Most likely shooting in front of birds and not experienced enough hunters to make the adjustment, or you just caught them on a bad day. I know my first few days Of hunting season are rough until I consciously tell myself to cut it in half or more. Then it’s game on for the rest of the season.

It’s the exact same as shooting big shoots for a month straight, then going to a charity shoot. I’d be better off not having touched the gun for 3 months than having big leads locked into my head.

Drake91 likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Practicing 30-35 yd crossing shots for decoying Canadas? :scratch :dohMight as well not take decoys and just say you’re gonna go pass shoot.

Trevor Shannahan and Drake91 like this.
  4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Exactly, 15-20 yard floating i comers is what they should be practicing.

5. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Depends on the type of clay target discipline. Skeet and trap are not dynamic enough to fill the filing cabinet up with proper moves. Its all about memorized moves which are very limited. You can get away with some poor mechanics and still do well.

Sporting clays and Fitasc offer unlimited angles and speeds. And Fitasc requires a very precise gun mount. Both demand very good mechanics to perform well.

There have been several world around Championships and they all been won by top Sporting clays and Fitasc shooters.

If you are thinking about how much lead to apply, you will end up with a lot of conscious thought which tends to cause the shooter to measure lead. Not a good thing. Conscious thought works great when working out a math problem but it sucks when your mind needs to handle multiple tasks at once.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  6. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

One of the reasons for stretching the distance out here at home and whether it makes sense or not I feel that if I can get consistent at the longer range it should help me on the closer ones. Plus I don't premount like you do during trap shooting. The gun is down at my waist and I try to get a good cheek weld while I'm getting on the bird. I also do the same with archery and pistol I'll stretch my compound bow out to around 60 and my pistols 120ish I don't plan on shooting anything that far but builds my confidence for my normal range shots.
    Believe me I want the geese in my lap. Of the shots that I missed I was set up in a partially cut silage field and had the decoys roughly 20 yards out and a little up wind. I was one row in facing west and the wind was blowing straight north. The birds came from the west made a flyby circled downwind locked up and were drifting in. I could see eyeballs and I just lead them way to much.
    As before thanks for all of the replies
    Justin

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I don’t shoot trap and my gun is either leaning against the blind or laying on the frame of my layout blind. You must be referring to another post.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Luckily the sporting clays course I shoot a lot at is pretty accommodating. As season gets close, I take a layout blind, at least a backboard and find the incoming targets and short range crossers and practice coming up and busting them. I rarely shoot tournaments, it is more to keep me shooting well for live birds.

9. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

Screw in your IMP CYL choke next time. It is real easy to miss when you are shooting a softball sized pattern at goose beaks.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I completely disagree. The whole idea of practicing, is to make things more challenging for yourself then they will hopefully be in the field.

Practicing a variety of shots in a variety of angles, helps you to appreciate the leading edge of a target, gun mounts, and leads.