My Habitat is a Lake

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Thinking we need to plant rice this year. How many are in the same boat? Pun intended!

2. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Same over here. Just won't stop raining! Instead of "one step forward; two steps back" it's one inch drop; two inches raise ".

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Gonna try it here Clayton in the small pond. Based on what I’ve seen video wise I think I won’t have an issue growing it. I’ve got great water control capabilities so hopefully it would be adequate.

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I do all kinds of different planting work. Do mostly habitat and food plot stuff. Also some forage work for farmers. Had a guy call me a couple of days ago asked me about planting rice for grazing.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

So what variety of rice are we trying? It’s my understanding “wild rice” will not regerminate basically south of a line from Va. thru Missouri to the Oregon/Cali line because it’s not cold long enough to stratify. As expensive as it is, volunteering would be pretty important to me.

6. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

That's a new one on me. I'll be the first to admit I know next to nothing about grazing animals, but I've walked enough rice fields and destroyed enough jeans to know I'd hate to have to digest that.

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hadn't thought about it and he was really just joking. But I don't know. Maybe you could get it to work. Require a drain down but who knows. Curious how many calories per acre you can grow with it.

8. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

o_O for grazing...? wow. That'd probably be the Big Mac of grazing forage.

9. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Gonna mark front yard off and rent it out for oysters. What's the going rate for an acre with E Z access.

10. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor

I planted rice in N Al last year using the Univ. of Arkansas directions. It was a good stand.. I can and did control water. Heavy on Nitrogen. 700 lb on 3.5 acres. Also 1500 lb 5-10-10 . All pre-flood. From a dry field, disc and sprayed 2-4D when sprouts showed. Broadcasted seed behind Polaris Ranger, and probably overseeded, but it made. Flushed field , then turned water off until 4-5 leaf stage. Flood it. Let it dry down naturally, but NOT cracked soil. Should be to 5 leaf stage. Flood field up 6'' to 10" watch it grow!! Once it headed, leave water on it on into season. Go by the book. Scare blackbirds as you choose.