Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

My last Alligator hunt.....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Oct 25, 2020.

1. orarcher

orarcher Senior Refuge Member

Not sure I follow what's a corn hunt ?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Butter and salt.

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Is there a difference in the food quality based on the size of the gator? I've got a pile of points towards a GA gator tag and hope to go next year.

4. Doofighter

Doofighter Senior Refuge Member

I had no idea about gator hunting methods before reading your account. One thing perplexes me...how you get it all done carrying around those giant balls. LoL
    Thanks!

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Locals say they like small ones to eat as they are more tender. That being said the two of the three best cuts (under tail loin and jowls) don’t get really big until the gator does (over 10 feet). The under tail loin on a 9 footer is the size of my forearm (pretty small) and on a 12 footer the size of my leg. The jowls really get big at about the 10 foot mark. I haven’t eaten enough gator to be a connoisseur to give you any better nuts and bolts. I can say I’ve eaten cuts from several 10 footers and it was all awesome. The key is no fat or red meat in what you are cooking. The fat is fishy rancid tasting and the red meat not much better.

I have also had some great alligator sausage. Great stuff but you can tell if any red meat gets mixed in.

widgeon likes this.
  6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Wheelbarrow typically. Just have to crop it out of the shot so other guys don’t feel bad.

Allan and widgeon like this.