My Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Steelshot Scott, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I have a Winchester Model 12 given to me by my uncle when I was very young. It was made in 1957, it is the 3 inch Heavy Duck model with a plain 30 inch full choked barrel. It was a duck hunters dream back in the day, we hardly ever used 3 inch shells back in the days of lead, but my uncle was convinced the heft of the gun contributed to better follow through on wing shots. It is such a well made gun that even after all these years it is still a 95% or better gun(of course I have not used it much since steel, so there are a number of decades where it was a safe queen only).

I have been unable to use it duck hunting since the mandated steel shot became the law of the land. I didn't want to risk damaging the gun. However, that is fixing to be remedied. I recently read a thread about a guy having his chokes opened up, it motivated me to look into it.

Local gunsmith is going to open the choke up on it to a modified choke. I don't want screw in chokes, I never change chokes, I shoot steel with a modified choke, period, so I have no need to go to the expense of screw in chokes. Even the guns that I own with screw in chokes are all using modified tubes, I know where the chokes and wrenches are, I just never change chokes. When I shot lead, I shot everything on a full choke. Now I shoot everything on a modified. I know what all my guns can do on a modified and I don't see any reason to complicate matters. The gunsmith is out of town until next week, but I am taking it to him Monday. He is a first rate, old school gunsmith, comes very highly recommended by people who know what they are talking about. He is from out of town, but I have heard his name over the years from other gunsmiths that I have known. My current gunsmith subs out choke work to this guy and says he is very good. My old gunsmith from 30 years ago(now deceased) spoke of him highly as well.

I can't wait to get the old girl out and duck hunt with her again. I intend to rotate her and my A5 during the early season and switch to my Gold Hunter for sea ducks(because I don't want to take either of my babies out on salt water hunting trips).

cacklercrazy likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Main thing is to be assured that opening the choke is done "True to the Axis of the Bore" ,IF Not , it won't shot to where you're looking !
    I have had my Mod 12 3" with a matted rib opened up to .017 constriction , in doing so I stipulated that I wanted as long as possible a parallel section
    also , that the work be polished to a mirror finish !
    I don't know what you asked for but , the outcome of the work I had done showed he was a True Craftsman Barrel Smith !

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Steelshot Scott

The gunsmith actually mentioned about getting the barrel true before honing it out and that it had to be polished afterward. He has the equipment and comes very highly recommended.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

If the gun has Winchester Proof Steel on the barrel it is safe for steel if opened up. If it has Stainless on the barrel nothing can make it safe for steel shot.

5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This ^^^^. Back around that time John Olin had his R&D people working with steel shot loads. As long as you don't get to crazy shot size wise you should be fine shooting it as is with steel shot, again your gun your choice not mine. There was an article I read a while on this subject and John Olin pioneering steel shot loads, if I can find it I'll post it up.
    If anything think a heavy duck model 12 threaded for choke tubes would be really cool, Briley comes to mind for that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    JFG and Sunklands like this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's a fact , Old Nickel Steel barrels should be left alone , the 7/8 that I have will never see steel shot but a pouch full of Bismuth will be run down their tubes !

7. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

1957?! :l That is a new one! I have a 16 gauge that my Dad bought used in 1951 when he was in high school for $10 with a box of shells! Manufactured in 1917, it was a 2 9/16" gun that he had modified in about 1969 for 2 3/4" shells. I break it out once every year and shot a nice double on wild roosters with it in 2017, its one hundred year birthday! They are cool guns! I also have a 20 gauge with a Simmons rib that was manufactured in 1953, it is in very good condition, unlike the 16 which is a little rough but functional.

Mrs.10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

What the hell! We need to see pics of this old beauty.

I picked up a 1953 matted rib model 12 with a checkered stock last fall for $249. I couldn't leave it there on the shelf it had to come home with me.

9. Steelshot Scott

The blueing is worn a little on the high edges, but other than that, she looks good for her age. I always transport her cased and have taken extremely good care of her.

model 12.jpg

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I have dads Mod 12 32" solid rib barrel 3" mag heavy duck gun.
    The thing is a tank, I shoot the slower #5 teal steel through it a few times a yr. or better yet Kent Matrix.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Winchester 1897 likes this.