My Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Steelshot Scott, Aug 21, 2019.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I bought a Model 12 back in the late 70s that had just come back from Simmons with a vent rib installed, re-blued and deluxe checkered forend and stock. It was a 2 3/4" gun with modified choke and I paid $200 for it. It was a great duck gun but I put it up when steel shot became mandatory. Always thought I'd bring it out of retirement one day but never have. Maybe some day.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  2. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

Back in the days of lead, 2 3/4 inch lead #6's were deadly on ducks. Dense pattern with plenty of knockdown.

But with the mandate of steel, I couldn't shoot a full choked gun with steel. I also retired all my 2 3/4 guns and went to 3 inch shells and completely quit using my 20 ga 2 3/4 gun. I used #6's in it as well for ducks.

3. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Last year I did a little retro solo hunt with my Grandpa's model 12. Old cork dekes and a tan jacket with his sweet ole 2 3/4" 1950's model 12 shooting Bismuth. What a blast! I forgot how sweet and tight that gun shot. It is a hunt I plan on doing at least once a year now.

I came across a couple of new to me older Browning remakes that will see the marsh as well. A little 28 and a model 42

Attached Files:

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

The 6's I refered to shooting were Steel Shot , even the #2's for Pheasants are steel shot . Don't think for a minute if they didn't work for me , I'd be
    shooting something else . Steel shot has come along ways in the last 8-10 years . Mod 12's with Win Proof Steel barrels with a .728 bore will shoot steel
    just fine aslong as the choke is more open like a Mod (.020 ) constriction than a Lt Full choke (.030 or tighter ) . Payload weight is what you need to adjust in
    these guns as anything over 1 1/8 oz usually doesn't pattern well !

callinfowl likes this.
  5. Steelshot Scott

I dropped it off this morning, should have it back Thursday or Friday. I have decided to put my Miroku in to tighten the vent rib up. And other bonus was that I have a Winchester 1300 that broke the rotation cam on the rotatory bolt about 2 years ago and I have been unable to find one. Turns out he has one just lying around and I can buy it for $10.

6. Ravenanme

It will be interesting to see what constriction you endup with ? So , meassure it with a Bore Reader gage and report back !
    Polishing a choke tapered area is tricky for those who don't understand , what it takes . I hope your patterns / payloads are what you expected ?
    Share some of your experience opening a fixed choke up , thanks for helping those who might want to do the same !

7. Steelshot Scott

I got it back today, I forgot to ask about what the measurement was. I will call back and ask. Dropped it off on Monday and got it back on Tuesday.

He teaches gunsmithing at the community college and he took it to class and did a demonstration for the class.

He opened it to modified. If it does not pattern like I want(which I think it will), we will do screw in chokes. He said the barrel is plenty thick to do it. I was tempted to go to cylinder, but I figured you can't put it back if you don't get a good pattern and I wanted to keep my options open.

8. Ravenanme

The actual dimension that the choke ended up will be interesting , sounds like your Guy knows his stuff so , he would have that figure at his fingertips !
    The only reason I'm questioning this measurement is , is it .020 or less / more ? And is it polished to a mirror finish ? So , ask if your choke is a .708 inwhich
    your Mod 12 would have a FULL Choke with steel shot ?

9. Steelshot Scott

It is polished to a mirror finish. I wanted to go to a modified with lead in order to be a full in steel.

10. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

The late trick shooter Herb Parsons did things with a Model 12 that were amazing.
    My late father in law duck hunted with him many times in South Louisiana.
    Check out his videos Herb Parsons Showman Shooter.
    I have my late great grandfathers 16 gauge Model 12. It’s in the gun safe, I think in 50 years I have shot it twice.
    Your post has me now thinking about a duck model. I think I’m going to look around on the internet.