California Flyway Forum Sponsors

My son's woes

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by OFH, Nov 27, 2019.

1. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

If ya consider recent CA election results, "voting while clueless" is pretty much the standard.

Bigshot75 likes this.
  2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

According to this CWA publication I, as a non-resident, can bring a truck load in if I want:

https://www.calwaterfowl.org/navigating-californias-new-ammunition-background-check-system/

From the article:

Identification requirements
    According to the Department of Justice’s FAQ, ammunition buyers must show a valid California driver’s license, California identification card (for non-drivers), or military identification. Note: The website does not list any identification options for non-residents, and DOJ’s press office did not respond to an inquiry about whether or how non-residents can legally purchase ammunition in California. This is no small issue: California sold 7,325 non-resident hunting licenses in 2018, producing license and tag revenue of nearly $1.2 million. However, non-residents are allowed to bring ammunition into California without shipping it to a vendor or submitting to a background check. Also, we have heard from a supporter who serves in the military here but is not a California resident that he was able to purchase ammunition at one store, but not another.

mudhen and Bigshot75 like this.
  3. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

4. Mean Gene

You don't owe me an apology at all, I'm just passing on info. When this all came to pass I started researching it and that's what I found out. Obviously that may change in the future. I'm hunting in California again this season because we're staying in Medford and our house in Montana isn't done yet, so I needed to know what was what as far as shells. I also found that a family member can gift you ammunition, so if someone from out of state comes in a son or daughter can give them shells. Yes, it's very convoluted.

Brottboss and Bigshot75 like this.
  5. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

A number of which are illegals, felons or no longer living.

Brottboss and Bigshot75 like this.
  6. cagwp

cagwp Senior Refuge Member

Did you say truckloads Gene?
    Screenshot_20191127-135617_Instagram.jpg
    And that's how Mean Gene's post retirement career was created.

letmwurk, Mean Gene and Bigshot75 like this.
  7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

As I understood it, but this could have changed, hunters could sell up to 50 rounds of ammo to their buddy's per month with going through a back ground check.

Hell, I'd have given your son a box or too. Wish I had of known sooner.

Bigshot75 likes this.
  8. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I get a rise out of the black market system that CA created. This whole "under the radar" thing tilts my glass and makes me ponder the possibilities.
    Nevada loves it too.

9. Mean Gene

Yeah, but since we're not related I couldn't give it to you. However, if you "stole" it from me I wouldn't have to report it, and then I could look on the ground and "find" some money. A match made in heaven. :l

Duck Seeker and Brottboss like this.
  10. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Gene at first I thought you are absolutely right - he should have known, and if I were still hunting maybe I would have known enough to warn him. On the other hand how much researching should one do on topics like this when no other state (I think) has screwed up regs like this. Next time as you say, he'll bring his own.

And Nate thanks for that offer. Novato is a leedle far, though.