My thoughts on the shortage of shotgun ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Well most people in here know that my business is a hunting related business. Show a way to make the expenditures relevant as advertising costs aka sponsoring a shooter, and small business owners can write off plenty of their shooting expenses.

2. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

In my hobbies / line of work / side hustle, whatever the tax man wants to call it this year, my expenses can easily exceed my income. I try to deduct the ‘most legit’ expenses to get down to a zero balance.

ammo is an consumable to a hunting guide like any office supply is.

I do NOT try to claim gun club expenses. Taxman has example no-no’s showing that golf expenses is an flag, so I tread lightly.

So far the original OP topic, I’ll buy plenty of ammo if $$$ is incoming good.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

They can write off their own shooting expenses if they demonstrate that they are sponsoring themselves, i.e. can show that their own shooting (expense) is promoting their small business.
    I'm talking about legitimate promotional expenses.
    A small business owner could legitimately sponsor a shooter, and then siphon off shells, clothing, possibly even guns and entry fees for himself by declaring that they were for the sponsored shooter. That's not legal, of course, but I know it happens.
    For those considering this route, talk to a reputable tax person first.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I’mmmma gonnnna save all my Walmart receipts, cause......ya never know. :joker

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My shooting buddy thinks since the ammo companies are (supposably) working 24/7 the shells are in warehouses until the 25-30% increase is in affect!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Got a call this morning from my hunting buddy. He says he's in W-M and they have 4-packs of Game and Target loads and that he's taking three of them (the max allowed by this W-M). I immediately headed down there. Fifteen minutes at the most after receiving the call, I get there and find ONE 4-pack of 12 ga Winchesters, and three 4-packs of 20 gage Federals left.
    I guess I'd better make daily morning trips down there from now on.

7. Goosekiller

Goosekiller Senior Refuge Member

If this ammo shortage doesn't end soon. We're set to lose a lot of young hunters and shooters that are just now trying to get into the sport. Without ammo availability it's going to be really difficult to keep their attention.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

And alot of us current fowl chasers

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

When I was a duck hunting boat dealer LLC, I wrote off shotgun shells if I took folks hunting as part of a demo....at CPA’s directive. Never any ‘professional’ shooting linkage, at all....advertising expenses.

10. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I managed to get most of the components to roll my own 16ga steel shells for this fall.

Had to get preprimed cheddite hulls, but for my first time building shells I will take what I can get.

Everything but the powder. But I think I know where I can get some of that.

So that has to be a good thing right?