I finished (finally) my painting on the hens yesterday. I was slowed down by waiting for a decent orange paint for the hens' bills, which took awhile to get here. I also added to the drakes to make them look a bit better. Here was my process: First the drakes. I got some feedback that the gray all the way to the wingtips was too much, and I needed to darken the flight feathers. Here's what I ended up with: For the hens, after I coated them with waterproof wood glue, followed by spray primer, I went for a tan color on the bottom portions and heads, and darker brown on the top (wing) parts. Next I decided to just flip the colors and highlight feathers on the top part in tan, and the bottom part and breast in brown. The molded-in feather pattern on these ancient styrofoam Carry-Lites really helped me here. What really made the difference though, was switching to a small sponge type brush. I had some trouble with what to do with the tails. I finally just mixed some tan and white to get a really light tan, and used the sponge brush to tap on some light tail feathers.