Decoy Forum Sponsors

My Ultra-Light Hens Are Done, Made a Slight Improvement to the Drakes

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Green Duck Truck, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

They are looking better all the time, 'Truck.
    One thing about the hen's tail feathers: one of the most noticeable characteristics of the mallard is that it's the only specie in which the hen's tail feathers are all white. It's one of the biggest things that differentiates them from a hen gadwall or hen shoveler or hen pintail at a distance. Check out photos of mature hen mallards, you'll see what I mean.
    Just another suggestion that I hope helps steepen your learning curve. Keep up the good work. :tu

I've been carving and painting since 1982 and the most important thing I've learned....and I'll pass it on to you guys.....is don't carve and paint the way you THINK a live bird looks. (You'll be wrong a high percentage of the time for the first several years.)
    Carve and paint the way a live bird ACTUALLY looks. For this you'll need references, and that usually means good, color photos. And lots of them!
    Be aware that some photos will be of immature birds, or birds in eclipse plumage, or hybrid birds, or even domestic/cross birds. This is why more than one or five or ten photos are desirable; so you can check them against one another.
    The more knowledge you acquire, the better your carvings/painting will be. :tu

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Crica and Green Duck Truck like this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

As an aside.... poor references often include:
    commercial decoys (almost all of them)
    other carver's decoys (too easy to copy their mistakes)
    taxidermy mounts (especially old ones)
    carving/painting books by non-champion carvers
    photos of ducks taken in city parks/zoos/etc.

Crica likes this.
  3. Crica

Crica New Member

I would shoot over those with confidence , good job . Great to see constructive advice based on experience of others .

Green Duck Truck and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I keep coming back to this thread - great stuff. You must post some dead mallards draped over those decoys.

Green Duck Truck likes this.