Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Name your poison ‍☠️

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by LEWDOG, Sep 7, 2021.

1. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

Y'all have been reading me for a really long time , I would hope that you will know two things . I have never been in this sport for the kill and there are no birds in a county that is 98% saltwater and the 2% freshwater thst is tucked on private land that is way off limits or controlled by deer hunt clubs that don't want waterfowl hunters scaring the game off the watering holes . With that said a young hunter here in Mathews has the drive that I have lost and I could use the kick.

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

3. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Not enough abandoned cars (where Paw Paw used to live) on that tract to be any good.

4. markd

How long before that place is under water K? 20 years?

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Fill it full of corn and you would have a good honey hole.
    Mark, the way the World is going, we all might not be here in 20 years.

6. LEWDOG

Markd you need to buy the place and do just like the other owner did back in the early 80s . They turned loose 1250 Mallard frost ducks into that area . I had / have a blind across the creek and shot most of the ones that didn't fly off looking for food . They were the dumbest ducks I had ever seen .
    All of that land looks ducky for sure but I can guarantee that your days there will be full of Sawbill glory with maybe a dozen black ducks .

7. kahunna

Won't be long till every real estate contract will have a "Global Warming, Rising Waters" clause in it.:rolleyes:

8. LEWDOG

The down the Road hunt club run dogs all over that land like they own it . Then work the roads tracking the dogs . I don't hunt deer but anyone that does could fill there tags easily just by hunting the marsh side of the woods . I love the dogs for they always get that dz of blackducks to jump up and make there location known .
    On the flood plan the state has Mathews lower half in blue for a reason . No big deal if you are like me and have over 25 boats within my property lines . Markd that property is 2 miles east of my home by road 1 mile as the crow Flys.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:19 AM
  9. kahunna

LD - Your dock duck hunting prowess is a thing of legend around the Mathews' bayside region.:bow

FIFY - I can guarantee that your days there will be full of Sawbill glory with maybe a dozen salt-tasting black ducks, full of mollusks, frogs, shrimp, and marine invertebrates.:tu

10. markd

Why are they trying to sell the property LD? Other than the market is good now and the hold thing is in the floodplain and resource protection area and you probably can't build a dwelling on it.....

Is that fresh water ponding onsite or salt? Brackish?