NE LA report/bird numbers?

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Ross Fields, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Ross Fields

Ross Fields Senior Refuge Member

How's it looking in NE LA? Will be over hunting private ground this weekend and from what i have seen it looks like there are plenty of geese, but how are the ducks looking?

2. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

I was up there this weekend. Bunch of woodies and a few big ducks. I didn’t do to much scouting at our WMA, I knew there would be ducks at the first spot I went, had about 50 mallards in the woods, enough to get mine on the Vet hunt.

Big cool front came down last night, got to 35° this morning, that’ll push a few down. I know of another WMA up in NLA that I’m hearing is loaded up. Regardless, no amount of bird numbers will be worth the mess that will ensue Friday evening/ Saturday morning at the gate/ launch.

dwr353 and Out of focus like this.
  3. Huntinherrington

Huntinherrington Refuge Member

Ain't that the truth!!

4. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

There is a ton of rice still standing in morehouse parish. Farmers are taking advantage of dry spell we are in to get it out. Landscape is very dry right now.

I'd imagine wham is loaded.

my expectations for Saturday are a slow start then hopefully see enough traffic to make it interesting.

need a nasty wet cold front soon.

5. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

Very dry indeed. I’m careful what I wish for when it comes to water, Boeuf has a habit of turning into a biblical flood after one good rain. Wham is loaded. Def need a good freeze.

6. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

Good news is, the December survey can only go up from November! We caught water during the last hurricane, but it's been such a long dry spell we need this rain Sunday to float our whole spread.

7. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

Speaking of surveys, where are y’all finding it at. I look on the WLF website but it’s not posted yet.

8. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Check the post “waterfowl survey” on the Louisiana forum. Also seen it posted on Louisiana Sportsman.