Nebraska River Trespass Laws.

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by cprodave, Aug 12, 2019.

1. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

Can anybody please summarize laws for Nebraska? From hunting in other states I have found there is quite a variety regarding anchoring, stepping on the bottom, what is considered "navigable", what if landowner owns property on both sides if the riverbank, where does waterline begin (below vegetation line, etc). Thanks for any info...

2. Iowa

Iowa Senior Refuge Member

Nebraska is different than Iowa if you referring to the Missouri. Nebraska the land owner owns to the middle of the river (the ground underneath the river) but in Iowa the owners land stops at the high water mark on a navigable river.

The Platte river is owned all the way to the middle of the river. Not sure on the rules in SD and MO.

3. cprodave

Iowa, thanks for the info. Here in NC if you can float a boat in the water then you are in/on public property when you are in/on the water. For tidal areas, below the normal High Tide line is public property. I am not as familiar with NC laws about riverbank (I suspect it is like Iowa and probably Texas too where-- as I understand it--public property is anything below the high water mark or normal vegetation line. This could be tricky where there is a lot of SubAquaticVegetation in a river and on its banks).

So to summarize for Nebraska (rivers/streams entirely within Nebraska, i.e. not adjoining other states) the only rivers/streams I could hunt would be 1) where I have landowner permission and this reaches out to the middle of the river/stream and 2) public land--again out to the middle of the river/stream.

Right?

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

5. cprodave

6. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

It is my understanding the boundary is the center line of the unimpeded flow of the natural river channel. This can be interesting where water is being diverted for irrigation.