Nebraska Speck Hunting

Grawler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dad, who waterfowled a lot almost 30 years ago, called me and said he wants to go on a specklebelly hunt this year. He hasn't hunted much of anything in 30 years but him turning 65 has him wanting to hunt again.

I've hunted ducks all over the midwest but have no idea where to start for a really good specklebelly hunt besides Arkansas or NW Missouri which he doesn't want to drive to. So I think this is going to have to be a guided hunt in Nebraska where he lives.

I live in Iowa so somewhere on the Missouri river would be ideal too.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, what mut said is true, that is your best chance in Nebraska, but even then it is a tall feat. I've shot two since they have had the option for the late season hunt. Usually that time of year they are mixed in with massive flocks of cacklers. I've shot a handful in the fall, but it was complete luck as I was in the right spot at the right time.

marshmadness402

Refuge Member
Reaction score
If he wants to shoot a speck take him to missouri or kansas. They are just too unpredictable in the fall here. With the basins being dryer, they'll just blow through even quicker. You might have a shot in SW Iowa if there's water to hold them

Backwards bleed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Specks can be consistently taken every year in the fall. In Eastern Ne., it is actually very hit and miss in the spring. Most years they do not arrive here in any numbers before the late season closes. 4 or 5 years ago when the limit was 3 was an exception to that rule!
The loophole at either time spring or fall, is being able to hunt on the days that they arrive here. They are not here for long.. You can only take them if you see some.. The basins and any of our large impoundments or ponds will work to decoy them. You must hide way better than you have to for other waterfowl. Their wariness never ceases to amaze me.
Excellent calling helps immensely as the specks tend to fly by us in a hurry and don't like to stop for long. Good calling will pull them down to give you a look in many different types of locations. A couple callers that know how to work together helps alot. Finishing them doesnt always happen!
There are pockets that do hold specks late into the year. In those areas they can be readily decoyed when they mix with canadas.
I do think that marshmadness is spot on about the states south of us. You will have a much bigger window to harvest one there.

20gaSprig

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mut and nebgoosehunter are spot on. Early season they're here one day and gone the next. If you want a "wall bird" this wouldn't be the time either. Usually early-mid October. If we get a warm-up on the last week of January/first week of February you can luck into some. If you want to be CONSISTENTLY on birds, go south. Arkansas, SE MO, or Kansas.