Need a good carp bait

Empty Skies

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Won't be long & the carp will be spawning. At our marina the carp come up & bang the bottoms of the boats, guessing to release eggs. 40 foot of water so guessing a dough bait dropped a few feet should do it.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how you qualify “good” but when I was a teenager (before I could drive) I did a lot of carp fishing for fun. I used wheaties cereal because it was cheap and reliable. Buy a box. Crush the cereal up in the bag and add a small amount of water and keep adding a little water until it has a rubbery consistency.

TEAM_US

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A guy told me to use canned sweetcorn soaked in chocolate syrup over night. I'm guessing, if they're dumping eggs, they probably won't eat. But I'd like to hear a report either way.

NJ219bands

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Make dough from a cup of flour, a cup of yellow corn meal, vanilla and water, then put dough balls in boiling water for 3 minutes. If you throw a can of whole kernel corn in the same spot every day, then put corn kernels on a #8 short shank gold hook and fish in the corn chum, you will catch many fish. Post pics.
64699C0E-92F8-49FB-A0BF-81C2C95A0F7D.jpeg
56CAA8C0-34CB-482B-B50A-90C5CA23F423.jpeg
6EA52378-77F4-426E-A5B0-8FC5A0D11C04.jpeg
3176A954-2E0B-41F1-875C-00143775DEF4.jpeg
F0B2CA91-4BDD-4C90-99E3-B51547217C13.jpeg

duckmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how you qualify “good” but when I was a teenager (before I could drive) I did a lot of carp fishing for fun. I used wheaties cereal because it was cheap and reliable. Buy a box. Crush the cereal up in the bag and add a small amount of water and keep adding a little water until it has a rubbery consistency.
I've done it and always threw a couple handfuls of dry Wheaties onto the water to act as chum when starting. Simple and always works.

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We use to have a recipe some 50 years ago! But by memory & guessing amounts l made some last year. Wheaties, ground alfalfa (+/-50%), wheat germ or molasses, a touch of garlic powder & a touch of anise oil. Dry catail, the brown fluffy part, to hold it together. Mix it up into a ball, store in tin foil. Use a treble hook. Good Luck! Also, 2 cups of cornmeal boiled in strawberry jello works! But, the one above is a killer!

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in Ohio we also used Wheaties based dough.
The ingredients were: Wheaties, water, a little anise, a little crushed garlic, molasses, and some strands of cotton from a cotton ball that helped hold it together. The old timer that taught me that recipe considered it a big secret
This dough ball recipe also worked well for big Channel Cats.
Big Carp can be very cautious so always use a sliding sinker and leave slack in your line so they do not drop the bait when they feel pressure.
I did not eat the Carp, used them for making Coon scents, and whole frozen pieces for my trapline.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in Ohio we also used Wheaties based dough.
The ingredients were: Wheaties, water, a little anise, a little crushed garlic, molasses, and some strands of cotton from a cotton ball that helped hold it together. The old timer that taught me that recipe considered it a big secret
This dough ball recipe also worked well for big Channel Cats.
Big Carp can be very cautious so always use a sliding sinker and leave slack in your line so they do not drop the bait when they feel pressure.
I did not eat the Carp, used them for making Coon scents, and whole frozen pieces for my trapline.
Best channel cat bait ever is raw hamburger and wheaties. Would fish it under slip bobbers and clean out entire holes of fish, one on each cast.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will have to try that Cat bait idea H2ODad

Slip bobbers are a very effective way to fish.
We use them to good effect for Chinook Salmon on west coast rivers by floating live Sand Shrimp.
I have seen fly fishermen having very good luck fishing for deep water, suspended, Trout using slips with nymph flies.