Need a good carp bait

QuaaackerJack

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
These fellow fishermen agree with my approach to carp fishing! Hauled in about 30,000 lb in last night!

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_203349733.jpg
    PXL_20220430_203349733.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20

Empty Skies

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Carp are spawning big time at our marina as constant schools of carp banging the bottoms of boats. Tried the corn on a #8 gold hook & caught a 12 lb. buffalo. No carp as they were constantly going by my bait. Think they had other things on their mind than eating.

NJ219bands

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Carp are spawning big time at our marina as constant schools of carp banging the bottoms of boats. Tried the corn on a #8 gold hook & caught a 12 lb. buffalo. No carp as they were constantly going by my bait. Think they had other things on their mind than eating.
Caught a 12 lb milt leaking common carp with canned whole kernel ShopRite corn on a #8 short shank Eagle Claw bait saver hook and 12 lb test line in 67 degree Carnegie Lake, NJ. Two big carp swam into snags and stole my hooks this week. In NJ carp are line shy. Best carping is at night on the new moon or on cloudy days on the full moon. Fluorocarbon line is best but I may try braid some day. Making my first batch of corn meal bait today, then carping this evening in the rain. Never caught a buffalo.
343F4893-1E47-4326-8F6D-24EA5818C522.jpeg

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid in Ohio we would go to Pymatuning Lake and feed the Carp. You could buy bread or bring your own Some of them were huge. The Mallards would run across their backs to get some bread.

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Best channel cat bait ever is raw hamburger and wheaties. Would fish it under slip bobbers and clean out entire holes of fish, one on each cast.
My buddies dad always had hambo/limbo for catfish! It was just hamburger mixed with Limburger cheese! He use to say the bloodier the hamburger the better! I used deer burger. He was a deer hunter & after he tried deer burger he said that was the best. Told him to start grinding the blood meat it was the best!

yeehaw

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In the hottest part of the summer, we'd fish below the spillway of a power plant lake in town. Always made up the same bait: smashed up corn flakes, box of strawberry jello, and strawberry soda. Everything was "Always Save" generic brand. Form a doughball around a treble hook, rig it under a slip sinker, and pitch it to the base of the dam. More fun than most other things when the temp was 90-100 degrees.