Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Need help choosing a boat blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jimbo41, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 Refuge Member

That looks a lot like a shaggy. How do you keep the wind out.... or do you?

2. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 Refuge Member

So you don’t have to use fastgrass on the pop- up.
    If not, thats a plus

3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Pretty sure there is still some egg shell on 4 out of 6 of those ducks. Other than for teal, we have to brush a blind to have any birds finish here, after about the first week. Reckon everyone’s mileage varies.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

As for maintenance? I see no difference between factory or home built. You can build a tougher blind at home. Skip the plastic fittings that Avery has these days. Any blind will need work if you hunt it hard enough.

The most expensive part of this blind is the camo nets which will run about $60 for the larger size nets. Cordura can be had for $2 or so per yard. 3/4 Conduit is about $4 for a ten foot piece. Barn door hinges are around $5 per piece or twin pack.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted out on an Avery Quick-Set since '94. The one on my boat now was installed in '97. If the boat and blind blew up tomorrow I would have a Quick-Set on my next one.

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I had one of the older ones Bill. But the newer ones that have replaced the pins with plastic don't seem to hold up quite as well. That's what I've seen from other owners.

8. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I had a Avery on my 14 foot Gen III boat since 1997. Just sold it about 4 months ago. Just as good as the day I installed it.

I saw the Pop Up blind on a Youtube video and decided I must have one. Took me a while to figure out what the blind was because the guys that posted the video had shot way over their limit and pulled the video very quickly. I saw it once, then the video was gone.

Once I found it, I was floored by the price, close to $2,000 . But I wanted it and I saved my money. Best money I ever spent. Waterproof and warm.

9. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

You don't NEED Fastgrass on any of the manufactured blinds, but some prefer to add it for better concealment. Raffia grass is another common addition. The bigger question for me would be, can the blind still roll up/stow with addition material attached.

10. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I do think it has helped some. The best camo is obviously to cut local vegetation and completely cover the boat. But, with a 20' blind, that takes A LOT of grass and quite a bit of time. The Fastgrass is a good compromise for me.

DTHUR likes this.