Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Need help choosing a boat blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jimbo41, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I use camo nets over cordura. I could probably do fine with just the mudded cordura but I like the camo nets and add just a little raffia to add a 3d look. I have seen the blinds where it is really thick and they look good but as you say, too much would be a pain to roll up or deal with.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've only had the newer ones on my boat for photo shoots, but I've installed a bunch of them and I helped with the new design. Only reason I kept the old one is familiarity. If the molded parts are from the spec materials, they should be no more likely to have problems than the old steel parts. Not trying to sell anyone on the Quick-Set because people will have different preferences, but I'd buy a new one without a second thought.

3. Fowler267

I can appreciate that. I had an Avery from 96 to 01. I liked it but the boat was under powered so I sold the blind to cut down on weight. When I bought a new boat and stuck a small MM on the old boat ; a friend recommended a Beavertail....

Personally, I hated the BT from day one. I used it for six seasons but finally sold it. I was considering all types of designs and I liked the Avery for the flip tops, the quick deployment and the way it hid better then the BT in timber/backwater.

I did a lot of thinking and planning and ended up with a scissor blind that was customized to make better use of the flip tops then the ones I saw on most scissor rigs. I wanted it to deploy easier then regular scissor rigs normally do. I wanted the wind breakers/camo nets but with the solid support of a scissor blind. I eliminated the wiggle/rocking with the scissor frame that I had with my older Avery. I wanted the open tops that the flip tops offered vs the crawling under of the BT which was a royal pain! But I also wanted to hide the faces with the flip tops that the BT lacked.

I was able to add in blind height flexability basically by accident. It's a nice bonus when hunting with kids or if shooting low flying divers I'm on my fourth version from upgrades and one complete frame rebuild after a tree fell on it. Like the Six Million Dollar Man it keeps getting stronger and faster.....But , with a much better price tag!

bill cooksey likes this.
  4. Fowler267

As for a factory blind never requiring work??? I cut the legs down on the Avery as it was on a V-Hull with the adaptors, which made it too tall. I have always had to work on the camo nets as they take a beating in the brush etc that I hunt. To address the wiggle on the Avery, I used bungee straps to firm it up.

On the BT?? I was always trying things to help hide those shooting holes and cut down on the size of the holes. I also tried adding netting, raffia and even painted the cordura to make it hide better. The dog hole I cut, I also added cordura etc to keep it better hid. I also had to extend the entire frame system as the frame blocked my boat seats front and back. I added about ten inches to put the frame cross sections in front of the front seats and behind the back seat when running the boat. I certainly don't miss the squezzing between the frame etc when trying to hook the bungee straps over the front and back!!!

5. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

When I say you don't have to work on it, I am not referring to the initial fitting. I had to adapt my Avery to fit my boat like I wanted it to fit. But once this was done, it gave me close to 15 or more years of trouble free use.

6. Fowler267

This was youth season. A pair had landed somewhere behind us... But you can get an idea of what we do. Hell on the OB motor pushing into that spot. IIRC we had to cut a few branches just to give the blind clearance to set it up.

The way we hunt and the terrain is very rough on blinds. You can't hunt the way we do and not need a lot of repairs etc on the equipment.

7. The Flying Duckman

The Flying Duckman Refuge Member

Jmbo, mine has a leafy cut pattern to it. It moves with the slightest breeze and blends in well with grass or trees.

8. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

How easy is it to get in and out of the beavertail when it’s “deployed”. I use to run an Avery but getting under that crossbar in waders and a coat sucks!

9. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I had to drop the blind to get out. I couldn't get out between the boat and crossbar. Didn't take but a second, though.

10. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Ok, I couldn’t tell if there was room between the two inside bars to walk on and out without going under a brace or the blind material

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019