need help with mud motor

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by fowlmouth, Nov 11, 2013.

1. fowlmouth

fowlmouth Refuge Member

alright here is the big dilemma. I currently have a 1648 legend craft with a short transom. Im torn because I wanted a 27 hp mudbuddy mini and they are currently sold out and wont be getting more until the hunt is over. So my question is do I go with the 35 hp or the 23 hyper drives. If I go with the 35 I know I will probably have to add pods on. Which isnt to big of a deal but even with the pods the engine weighs close to 300lbs. So is there anyone out there running a 35 on a 16' boat. keep in mind the boat is only rated for 800 lbs with the motor. supposedly the pods will compensate for 200 lbs. The other question would be the 23 every one I talk to has said they are some goers! problem is I sold my 25hp longtail because I was tired of trudging along just to watch a hyper drive blow past me and set up in my spot! so my question is this. Will the 23 hp mini have enough umph for a 1648. any advice will get you good karma in the duck blind and more birds in the bag guaranteed

2. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

I personally would wait for the motor you want to get verses something to compensate and be unhappy later.

3. western squawker

western squawker Senior Refuge Member

FM, a stock 35 Hyper will work fine with that size boat. I ran one on a 1648 riveted. My buddy runs an all welded in that size and a 35. You may need to keep your weight forward just a little and run a transom saver while towing but it should work out fine. Remember you can never have enough horsepower.

4. fowlmouth

fowlmouth Refuge Member

What is a transom saver? And where do I get one? Do the pods really compensate for 200 lbs

5. Gdevilutah

Gdevilutah New Member

One thing to think about is that the 23 has performance upgrades available, so you can add some more power if you need it. The 27 kohlers dont really have much for upgrades. The 23hp are little screamers and while a 35 could work on that boat, it is a little much for that narrow of a boat considering the length. I think you would be happy with the 23hp. A transom saver is a bar that goes from your trailer to the bottom of you motor to take some of the stress off of the transom while transporting your boat. You can find them at any marine store or cabelas etc.

6. fowlmouth

fowlmouth Refuge Member

gdevilutah, I saw go devil has a 27 hp where is a dealer in utah. I have thought about all the mods for the 23 which would take its hp up only problem with that is for the amount of $$$ I would spend on the mods to get its hp up I could have a 7000 black death with all the bells and whistles.

7. fowlmouth

fowlmouth Refuge Member

has anyone heard anything about the gator tail 25 the one with the subaru engine.

8. Gdevilutah

Gdevilutah New Member

Go Devil of Utah is located in Riverton. And yes the upgrades can add up but if you have to keep weight down then it is an option but if you dont need to worry about that or if you add something to compensate for the weight then you might as well buy the biggest motor that you can afford

9. skybusterbob

skybusterbob Senior Refuge Member

I say you just kill ducks in geese where you can without the motor. Oh yeah you have a swan tag.

10. fowlmouth

fowlmouth Refuge Member

Says the guy who climbs on my boat every time he flys up from AZ. hows the duck hunting going down there in scottsdale. mmm hmmm thats what I thought!:flame:flame