Need smartweed advise

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by TacomaMan, Sep 7, 2019.

1. TacomaMan

TacomaMan New Member

Question for the moist soil experts. Would you sew perennial or annual smartweed? Which variety, spring or fall? I’ve got plenty of jap millet and volunteer barnyard but the local geese have put a serious hurting on it. Season doesn’t come in till next Monday. The geese pick around in it every year but nothing like what’s happened this year. They have eaten 50-75% of three acres. Looking to plant more variety next year.

Brottboss likes this.
  2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

If you’re gonna go with smartweed, then I’d suggest you go with Pennsylvania or some type of annual. Perennials such as water pepper don’t produce near the seeds annuals do, they also tend to form monocultures which can get very thick, and they can out compete other plants you might want.

As for when to plant is up for debate. IF the seed you get needs to be cold stratified then you want to put it out in the fall so it can go through a winter to accomplish that. But the USDA says Pennsylvania SW doesn’t need it so a spring planting would work. You will need to find out which varieties require stratification and plant accordingly. Being able to control your water will play a big part too.

3. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

I hope the more expierenced folks on here correct me if I'm wrong, but the beauty of an annual smartweed like a penns. is that even though it technically 'needs replanting' every year, if the initial planting takes hold and produces a good yield there will be more than enough seed leftover for a decent stand in year 2-provided that the conditions are favorable for it's germination over other plants.

WHUP ! Hen and Brottboss like this.
  4. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Is this confirmed?? I have 40 lbs to plant this year. Gonna try some for dove hunting and wanna overseed my duck spots. Still gonna try it all this fall but didnt know pennsylvania didnt need CS

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

0FD15EAC-CE2B-4AA2-8307-3A2BE3A199EA.png
    Look at Line six under “Growth Requirements” as it relates to Cold Stratification.

I also grow it in my ditches and around the storage building at my camp. It will seed in the late summer and start again shortly afterwards. Most is Nodding SW but it’s an annual too so it apparently doesn’t need cold stratification either. That said, bought some Pale SW seed years ago, planted, and nothing came up. Called the seed company and the lady told me “Oh, it has to be stratified” .....duh!

da fowl slayer likes this.
  6. KAHunter

interesting. i was under the impression all smartweed need CS. oh well we will see what pops up this spring. doing a few acres for doves. Wanted something they liked that wouldnt re-germinate when cut in august or september.

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

We have smartweed/pepper grass in many varieties in south Florida and never get below 35 the last few years. And never longer than a morning. It reseeds throughout the year as well. As mature stands can be found every month of the year here.

8. KAHunter

interesting. well my idea for a dove field that wont re-germinate with one rain after mowing in august just went out the window. Any plants yall recommend that wont re-germinate and are easy to plant for doves??

9. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Winter Wheat and then burn it in august. Very little germination after a good burn. just pure cooked seed all over the ground :)

da fowl slayer likes this.
  10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

^^This! Get your wheat seed in this fall and by next summer it will be good to go. Bush hog it later, burn and if you have birds around they will nail it.​