Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

1. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

i just bought a used 9.9 evinrude motor needing an impeller. I successfully replaced the impeller and get a good pee stream. The motor faithfully starts on the first or second pull, but i have to keep throttling it to keep it running or it acts like its not getting gas and quits. are there any boat motor gurus out there that might know what is causing the stalling? thanks in advance.

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

There's a lot of things that could cause that, the good part is most are pretty easy fixes: Stuck carb float, dirty low speed jet/idle circuit. I'd start with a carb cleaning and re-build. I'd also check the compression, low compression=poor idling. Other things to check are the hose connections and primer ball, the fuel filter, and the fuel pump. I'm sure there will be other ideas. BTW, Does it run OK at high speed?

3. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Phytoplankton thanks for the reply. Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order. I was wondering if it was that, but I thought I would ask to see if someone knew some other options to check prior to diving in. I will check your other suggestions prior to the carb rebuild. Thanks again.
    The motor runs the same at high speed as it does low speeds, it give a little warning that is struggling and I give it a bit more throttle and it responds and keeps running. Without the extra throttle it dies pretty quickly.

4. Mike0311

Mike0311 Senior Refuge Member

2nd the carb cleaning. And check fuel line from tank to carb for loose fitting or holes, check compression and fuel pump for pressure.

5. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

Assuming you’ve remembered to open the vent cap on the gas tank. I’ve forgot lots of times even after decades of boating. A carb cleaning would probably be in order.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  6. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Check the fuel lines on the engine. If they are older they could be damaged by ethanol fuel.

7. Phytoplankton

^^^ Good advice, ethanol will cause deterioration of the gas lines (even the small ones into and out of the carb), and can cause pieces of the hose to flake and clog filters and jets. If the hoses are not ethanol resistant they should be changed out. It will be easy to do when performing the carb rebuild.

8. Bows Up

Bows Up Refuge Member

Fuel stabilizer with every fill to deal with the ethanol. New plugs. Try a shot of Seafoam. Regardless of the above, a carb job is probably in your future. You'll feel better at o'dark thirty when you go to start it up.

Put 4 new plugs in my Yamaha F90 today and voila the hesitation at various rpms has gone. Bit of a headscratcher as the old ones looked good but for the cost of plugs, who cares.

9. Phytoplankton

Are those indexed plugs? Spark plugs and outboards..... sometimes they look fine, but just don't perform well. I have a 15 hp merc that likes new plugs every year. I'm happy it's a cheap fix!

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member