Need someone to do fiberglassing

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Policy Peddler, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Policy Peddler

Policy Peddler Senior Refuge Member

I have a Hercules layout, it has a nickle - quarter size hole in the keel. Don't Ask.
    I was looking for someone in the finger lakes area familiar with fiberglass that would want to patch it from the inside for me.

PM me

thank you
    Richard

2. turf

turf Senior Refuge Member

It's really not that hard, pick up the fiberglass mat, rough up area for something to grip to, soak mat with resin and apply as many coats as you want. If it's a hole through patch both sides for added strength

3. Policy Peddler

ok here it goes,
    if you are familiar with Hercules, it is a tow behind layout with a keel that runs to the end of the layout.
    at a suggestion from someone else i had them make it without the lead in the keel. with the suggestion to "just put blocks of lead in the seating area. It was not a good idea and did not tow well.
    so after many years last winter at Ron Banks suggestion i crawled down inside, used a hole saw to cut a hole in the wall by your feet, with the idea of taking out the foam poring in lead shot then sealing.

I was 1/4 off drilling the hole, the bit walked. i thought it would be ok, and it broke through the outside, the keel was parallel to the hole saw.

I am 62 yrs old with fibromyalgia and arthritis. so my 13 yr old son dug out the foam.

when i went in head first to drill the hole, it was a major operation for me to get in and out.

So me patching the hole is not a simple operation like it would be for someone else.

btw I am in Phelps, NY

4. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

If you're talking about filling in a nickel sized hole, I'd just use marine tex. If it makes you feel better you can get a little bit of fiberglass cloth to strengthen the spot. Marine tex is about the easiest stuff in the world to apply. Just like using spackle.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-Epoxy-Putty-WHITE/dp/B003WOGRA8

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Not being critical, but I think you are over thinking it. The boat isn't under any stress as it has no motor on it so an outside hull repair would be fine. I would shoot closed cell foam ( won't soak up water) into the hole, Dig out about 1/4 inch of foam, and also sand the area past the hole and remove any paint or gel coat, and fill the hole with fiberglass cloth cut to the size of the hole and build it up with layers of cloth and resin, use epoxy resin. Then add a layer that overlaps the hole by a few inches past the hole's diameter. Let it set hard and sand to feather edge. To make it perfect, fill in any slight voids with body putty. Hit it with some primer and then paint and go have a beer.

6. turf

If I was near you I would do it , but Syracuse looks like a ride from there

7. Policy Peddler

Baldwinsville I would consider a close drive, I drive that far to go hunting a lot of times. google says 50 minutes, I could bring it too you, or trade you for hunting out of it.
    there are a lot of good suggestions on here regarding repair, but i would like it to look good and as inconspicuous as possible if some day i want to sell it.

8. turf

9. HOODIE

HOODIE Senior Refuge Member

Joe Flow Long Island from the Max Rad