Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Need suggestions on where to plan a hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lee Hatch, Dec 2, 2021.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Come up to Michigan and shoot Squaw out of a layout.

Westmichwtrdog likes this.
  2. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

Harli/Barrows in Washington or head to Texas for teal and cranes.

3. Lee Hatch

Lee Hatch New Member

I think I have about decided to try to go to WA. I talked to a guide but they dont book until the season is established.

Duck Wrangler likes this.
  4. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Laying in a at field for ducks and/or snows/darks is a different and fun experience you probably won’t get to do much down in Carolina.

Different than hunting ducks and geese over water for sure

5. nick b

nick b Elite Refuge Member

Great Lakes or Washington state diver hunting would both be really fun and a much different experience than puddle ducks. Maybe you could time it around a Green Bay football game just to get that unique experience as well.

fishmunkee likes this.
  6. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Elite Refuge Member

I don’t disagree with you and getting to shoot something that I might not ever get the opportunity to shoot at again would be memorable.
    But as Cooksey said, getting to hunt common puddlers or divers in places you’ve never hunted before is also pretty memorable. If you’ve never seen mallards breaking down through the timber, it’s a pretty incredible experience the tenth the time it happens, much less the first. Shooting teal and ringnecks and grays ain’t nothing special, but it’s pretty cool in coastal marsh in Louisiana or Texas with gators in the decoys and then going fishing for reds in afternoon.
    I’ve seen a couple hundred ducks in the sky at one time on good weather days when flocks of 15-50 are crisscrossing all over. But I’ve never been in a dry field when a flock of a few hundred come down all at one once. I feel like that’d be pretty memorable even if I’m just shooting mallards and pintails and geese all day.

7. Lee Hatch

Lee Hatch New Member

I agree. He will get the opportunity to do some of those things anyway. All the college kids around here head to AR or out west every year. He is 16 but he lives it here. He has killed about everything that comes to NC in a bunch of times. I want to do something that he will not do anything even close to ever again.

8. Iammichael6499

Iammichael6499 Senior Refuge Member

Many moons ago, when I was 15, my dad surprised me with a Prairie Chicken hunt. Not something you do everyday. I appreciated the gesture … but … it was his dream/fantasy … not mine. If he had asked I would have said “pheasants”. Closest we got to either of the two Prairie Chickens we saw was about 100 yards. Weather was bad for chickens (no foul there, can’t predict weather), food was terrible (no excuse there), even at 15 years old I could tell the outfitter was not worried about the quality of our hunt (and he didn’t really understand the birds), so it was a long quiet drive home. It was a disaster I’ll never forget. Dad, who is now 88, is still semi-embarrassed by it to this day Lots of lessons learned. FYI, 8 years ago I asked my dad what his fantasy bird hunt would be and he said …. “pheasants”. I took him to Kansas (he lives in Okla), weather was perfect, food was great, no guide herding us, private property, and we (dad, brother, and me) shot our limits in less than 4 hours. He still talks about it.

Sam Ortmann and creedsduckman like this.
  9. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

If you go in January a Pacific Brant could be a trophy bird too.

Best game I've ever eaten.

10. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

This could easily be accomplished in a weekend here in Green Bay. Plenty of guide services that offer layout hunts, also plenty of guys on here that would likely take you guys out if you wanted. I'm not much of a water guy anymore, but if you haven't seen a good dry field duck deal, they are something you just don't forget. I'm not talking 20-30 birds, when its a 1000 plus feed that is working your spread, it pretty magical.

fishmunkee, nobands and Holesinthesky like this.