Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Got up to camp to check boxes. Over 2' of snow on the level. Only cleaned out 5 of them. Great news is all nested. Counted a total of 40 half shells left!!! :grvn
    Ten more boxes to go, a buddy is going to cut a snowmobile trail to our camp and to our upper beaver ponds next weekend, so it will be a whole lot easier to get to them!!

Uncle.Lou and Neighbor Guy like this.
  2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

5C5A1117-706E-4F2A-BB4E-BB01263828B4.jpeg AE1D16A4-A67B-4478-8C6F-0FB983B8D050.jpeg Cleaned out and added new bedding to my 5 boxes last week. Damn screech owls really are liking them unfortunately. Beat hell out of boxes and they won’t vacate. Have to open side door and literally rake them out! C248A7C9-866D-479A-994A-4ABEFDA745D5.jpeg

Out of focus likes this.
  3. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

After seeing the owl I knocked before opening my doors lol
    Added 2 new boxes to my big pond that brings me to 4 and one on my small pond. Loading them all with fresh shavings tonight I imagine some will start laying in the next couple of weeks. Finished my second duck tube to set out this weekend. Got the hay for the goose nesting platform and probably going to set another one on my other pond. Geese were hanging around the first one this evening need to paddle out and load it up with fresh hay

4. richroux

richroux Senior Refuge Member

Anybody else building metal wood duck boxes out of 12" furnace galvanized duct pipe? Decided to put one together in 1990 and still in perfect shape with no maintenance. Haven't built a wooden one since.

Attached Files:

creedsduckman and Out of focus like this.
  5. bbfky

With the price of wood these days I might have to look into it.

6. richroux

richroux Senior Refuge Member

Seems the 2ft lengths of 12" furnace duct really hard to find now. Mostly 5ft. But crimping pliers not too expensive and can cut two 2Ft boxes out of that. Hopefully this post will have .pdf of plans. Not sure if it will work. If not will put link up. I spray paint outside with light gray primer or light tan. Heat doesn't seem to be a problem and we have quite a few 90 degree days and a few of 100. When I was first going to make a metal box I kept hearing they wouldn't be used. After watching a hen take an hour or more gradually creeping up to a natural opening in selecting a nest site, I could see why. To check out nest by flying directly to the hole could be dangerous. I'd seen them be able to grab painted pine box to check out hole from below, but wouldn't work on metal. That's why I extended the hardware cloth on outside as well as inside. First metal box with it on it was used immediately and reused as soon as she'd hatched. Much lighter for this old geezer to install on a ladder. ; ) Out of 17 boxes, most years one will have a nest of screech owls that are fun to watch. Kestrels like them as well. Once they pick a nest they return year after year. Seems when put up new, starlings will try to use. But continued harassing them seems to stop that. And kestrels and screech owls give them what-for as well, so I'm happy to share a few nest boxes with them. : ) Also fun to spy on the kestrel he and the little ones. And watching the fledgling kestrels do graceful dives and roll, but have all kinds of trouble with their landing is just pure entertainment. If you try them, hope you have good luck. A HVAC acquaintance says to buy female end cap and pipe at same time to get best fit. But I've taken to running a real iight piece of aircraft cable over lid with hook and spring to guarantee a really heavy gust in the hole can't pop the lid. Should last a long time Places like Lowes and Home Depot have Plastic 5 gal bucket lids if a person doesn't have any around. Out of the sun, the bucket lid floor lasts well. 1990 box still has original lid for floor. Good luck.

Attached Files:

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I put up 3 about a month ago. Just a ditch that goes through the little farm I deer hunt. Always seems to be wood ducks in it this time of the year. Haven't seen any use yet. I've got a cellular trail camera on one hoping I'll get pictures soon. A buddy did the same thing and had a picture of the drake on top the box yesterday.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  8. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I did two installs here after work today. Not really new installs but replacements of boxes that have been very successful over the years but had rotted out.

0D21DA7B-8FF5-43FD-AE8F-53E3608CB0C0.jpeg
    The first was the first box we hung when we moved here in 2012. It was plywood and only expected to last a couple years. I hit it with the ladder today and down she came. Had a good run. At 18’ from the bottom of the house it’s about as high as I am willing to go. But it gets used at least once if not twice every year.

99AC5B15-51A9-4889-A621-AEC968E08857.jpeg
    This one is what we refer to as the low box. A little more than 6’ off the ground and right on the shoreline of the lake in my yard. The same merganser hen used this location for 4-consecutive years but it’s been vacant the last couple seasons. Takes a strong bird to put up with the mowing and the dog.

63360231-7068-4752-BC35-BD70B2B59A94.jpeg
    This was the box that I took down there. Too rotted out to remain in the tree. But it may need to find a place in a display. 25years she hung in that oak. Not the most productive, but a favorite in the group here at the house.

8-left to service here at home. I know a couple need to be pulled and reset and at least one needs a box replacement. Springs coming fast now.

9. bbfky

Anyone have any advice on how close duck tubes can be on a pond ? I've got a little over an acre on one pond as was thinking of running 2 floating tubes or one duck tube and one Goose box. Didn't know if mallards were real territorial like the geese are. They would be on opposite ends of the pond I'm thinking it might be better than running 2 Goose boxes one on each pond last time I did that the males fought almost daily Any advice would be appreciated

10. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

You guys are all fricken heroes! :tu:tu