Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. richroux

richroux Senior Refuge Member

Different strokes for different folks. I don't put mine up too high and use a very stable heavy duty aluminum 3 legged fruit picking ladder. Maybe quit climbing ladders when I hit 80. Still got a couple years to play monkey before then. ; ) Kestrels never back yet in early spring when we clean nests and usually clean the hard crap from owl and kestrel nests after young fledge in summer.

Clayton likes this.
  2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I am in a flood plain in which annual floods are the norm. Maximum height is needed.

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I would've thought the owls would try to attack you if you tried to pick them up. The picture I posted i thought was gonna be an owl not a duck because I had a trail cam picture of an owl on top the box and no pictures of a duck. When I stuck my phone in there to see if it was occupied I did it fast in case it was an owl and I really didn't want to have to get stitches!

4. richroux

richroux Senior Refuge Member

The screech owl adults are usually in a possum-like trance. Baby owls don't do that but keep looking around at you while female is stiff as a board.

creedsduckman and JFG like this.
  5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

It appears one of my boxes hatched this afternoon and if so will probably jump tomorrow ☹️ Forecast is for snow tonight. I really hope I’m wrong and they didn’t hatch today. We lost some geese a few years ago from a cold 40 degree rain when they didn’t all get under mama. I don’t know how they could survive with these freezing temps

6. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Screech owls are very docile when sleeping in boxes.

I fear this cold snap will be detrimental to many early hatched birds.

creedsduckman likes this.
  7. bbfky

First wood duck hatch of the year 18 fluff balls hopefully she keeps them on the water it's almost 30 degrees warmer than the air temp Headed for the cattails instead of across the field and into the wood She usually heads right for the woods but with cold temps and snow on the ground I think she made the right move swimming to the cattails Hopefully they can survive the freezing temps tonight and will make it

JRS, Clayton, creedsduckman and 2 others like this.
  8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I was hunting a snapping turtle that had been seen in the ditch where my boxes are and saw momma leave the box so I snapped a picture to see the eggs. I count at least 11.
    20210429_162301.jpg

JRS, Clayton, JFG and 1 other person like this.
  9. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I have seen my first Goslings here at the lake.... Bald Eagles have already had a fair share of them. Started with 9, down to 4 remaining.

I know I have several birds sitting in boxes. But have not done any counts.

10. bbfky

Got another mallard laying
    Saw original mallard and 6 ducklings on the pond yesterday 6 have survived the snow and cold temps in April and the eagles hanging around hopefully they will continue to make it Geese hatched 2 days ago but hang out in the wheat so don't have account on the goslings yet hopefully they do well and stay hidden for a while