California Flyway Forum Sponsors

NEVER FORGET...9/11/01

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by George, Sep 11, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

My wife and me were at SFO that morning and had just upgraded our airline tickets to first class and were literally two steps from boarding a plane to Canada then a cruise to Alaska we weren't married yet and I was going to propose to her up in Glacier bay in Alaska. Needless to say, they stopped us from boarding we were 2' away from stepping into the plane. They told us there would be a slight delay, which turned into several hours. So to kill some time we walked over to the bar to get a few bloody marys just in time to see the second plane hit. Everyone was in tears and complete shock. We were dropped off at the airport that morning by Circlehooker and his mom. So when they anounced that everyone needed to evac the airport I tried calling my father and a few friends that work in the city. This was before we had cell phones so I was using a Pac Bell calling card and after 3 calls my calling card was blocked, I was pissed.
    You could imagine how many people were trying to catch busses and cabs. I thought no problem we can take a cab to the nearest BART station then ride the train home to Concord. Wrong!!! They shut down BART, so we tried to get a cab for over an hour and it wasn't happening. I overhead a shuttle bus driver asking people if they were staying at the Burlingame Hyatt. I said yes we are staying at the Hyatt and they brought us to the hotel. As soon as we got there I handed the shuttle driver a $20 and asked him to get us a cab. The cab showed up in a few minutes and we took the $120 cab ride home with a towel headed driver. When we got home I called the phone company to find out why my calling card blocked and the lady asked me if I made two calls to Pakistan and a call to Peru, I said that isn't very funny seeing what took place today. She said we blocked your calling card because someone made these calls on your calling card.
    I'm sure the FBI knew it wasn't me after listening to my calls for the next few weeks.
    It was a crazy day made crazier after finding out someone stole my calling card number and made calls to Pakistan and Peru. Needless to say I didn't ask her to be my wife for another year because of the bad Juju I felt from that day. We got married the next year and have been happy ever since.
    The airport looked like a war zone with all of the armed military men with assult rifles and bomb dogs evac'ing the place.......it was a surreal day, that's for sure.

God bless our troops and first responders, 9-11-01 will never be forgotten in our household that's for damn sure, what a tragic day.

API likes this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I was sitting down reading the newspaper with the news on in the background when the news hit and soon video of first plane crashing into the tower. Took a minute to focus and say what, no plane should be that low. Then went up to tell my wife and start waking up the boys when second plane hit the other tower and other developments were happening with pentagon, then PA crash. Just let the boys sleep and took the day off. I had been to New York several times as had buddies that worked in NYC post graduation and was familiar with the area. As mentioned earlier, just went back less than a month to NYC for first time since all the memorials and freedom tower have been completed.

3. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Tony R. and I were bow hunting elk in N.E Oregon by the Idaho border, we had got back to camp, and he drove to the top of the mountain to call his wife on a big box phone. He came back to camp and told me about it... we were both besides our selves. When we got to Enterprise a day or too later, picked up a paper, and couldn't believe the photos. Day I'll never forget, and like said before, support our troops, and first responders.