New 5am rule

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by ksgoosekillr, Sep 14, 2021.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have any first hand info on how the 5am rule at Neosho went down this past weekend? I am curious if there were any issues at the ramps. I am wondering if Neosho isnt a trial run for the rest of the state.

Have to say though that a 5am start after DST for a walk in hunters doesn't leave much time to screw around. Hour and half to trudge in find a spot that isnt occupied and set up. Only giving guys one hour to get out of marsh as well. I love the thought process on this but wondering if the guy who made this rule had actually ever walked in to duck hunt.

Even Missouri's poor man drawing is done before then, wanted to say 4am but its been 15 years since i lived there so don't quote me on that one.

2. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Instead of 5am it needs to be defined as so many (2 or 3) hours before LST or sunrise. I emailed some folks at KDWP back in June about this in case they decide to make this a statewide deal next year.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

On arkansas wma's u may launch at 2 am, get in line for the 4 am "race" that's not a race anymore.
    Kansas is Arkansas without the AR.
    ;)

4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

When you say not a race anymore, what did they do to curb that? watching the video of that race over the years was insane.

5. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

Yup....without the AR and without the ducks.

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The venue I use had a fatal boat accident putting it in level two security. Wardens direct traffic at 4 am only allowing one boat in at a time spaced every minute or so. If you are caught passing/racing you get banned for two years.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I would be surprised if the "5AM" rule became universal across the state.

8. Mike0311

Mike0311 Senior Refuge Member

I was at Neosho this past weekend, the 5 am boat launch went fine and without issue. That being said its kind of a joke. Walkers were able to go anywhere they want as long as they don't get in the water. As long as they hunt fairly close to a dyke or dry land they have no issue beating a boat to a spot, given that the boat follows the no wake rule in the boating lanes.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  9. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the new thing will be having someone walk in and save a spot, and wait for the boat and gear to show up.

Renobber likes this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

"....as long as they don't get in the water" ??