Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

New boat choices

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Wentworth6, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Wentworth6

Wentworth6 New Member

Hello
    Son and I are thinking of upgrading boats .looked at a few and like war eagle 17 or 18. Also saw this Lowe and wonder what model it is ? Photos attached. Upgrading from 1860 grizzly. Any thoughts on the war eagle, Lowe or havoc would help. Pictures of your rigs would possibly help also. 2 guys and dog area is most of the time. Wma’s mud flats and some lake hunting is what we do. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The choice of a boat is such a personal thing, I don't know that anyone else can give you advice other than make sure the boat is big enough for your intended use plus one additional person. :tu
    Buying a duckboat is like buying a tent: get a tent that is twice as big as you think you'll need. You'll be glad you did, cause a "two-man" tent is just big enough for one man, a "four-man" tent is just big enough for two men, etc.

MallardND and Wentworth6 like this.
  3. Cootsmashfever

Cootsmashfever New Member

I believe that’s a Lowe roughneck, as far a choice goes, do you have a dealer close enough to demo each?

Wentworth6 likes this.
  4. Wentworth6

Wentworth6 New Member

I do have a dealer near the factory I am going to see
    I like the decoy and gear bags on the gunnels if that boat also

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That does look nice, I like the idea of maybe being able to use the storage as a "bench seat" = less things to carry: seats/buckets, etc? And yes get one that's bigger then what you think you'll need as 3 hunters, dekes & a dog will take a bit of room.

6. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Other then the fact everything’s riveted in the grizzly. Why not just a new grizzly.

7. sfpenn

sfpenn New Member

I have come to the conclusion that the right number of boats for duck hunters is 4. For example, a boat that is good for mudflats in managed areas is not good for lakes. Having said that I have a 1548 War Eagle with a semi-v hull and a 35HP Backwater. I can carry four people, a dog and gear no problem. But there are times in the managed areas when the water is too shallow for my boat while a 1542 flat bottom has no problem. I’ve thought about going to a 1542 but there are times when I take 3 other hunters. If you don’t hunt with more than 3 people at a time I suggest you look at a 1542 War Eagle with a 23HP Backwater. That is a very good combination where I hunt. Good luck!

8. Wentworth6

Wentworth6 New Member

Sfpenn.
    I think your right . Our grizzly is 18 feet all welded with a Yamaha 40 3 stroke like new.
    I think the surface drive is what We were really thinking about . Possibly go smaller and keep the grizzly
    What do you think about those bags in those pictures that I posted that are mounted to the gunnel

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

One is a dead bird bag and the other looks like some sort of gun sleeve.

10. Wentworth6

Wentworth6 New Member

Any idea where u can get those or is it custom? Thanks for these replys