New Boat delivery- Baton Rouge to Pacific NW or bust.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Clam, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Clam

Clam New Member

Good advice, thank you.

I’m at 18x60 and 40 hp.

Cliner likes this.
  2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I suppose it depends what he is talking about when he says drift. Drifting down a river is one thing but there is no way I would ever consider trying to use a wide 18ft mud hull in place of a proper drift boat. You are in for a hard time and a workout trying to use a 1648 as a drift boat let alone an 18fter.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I was in an 1748 last weekend, screw that, that boat was so tippy it was insane.
    There is no way in hell, that I would go any narrower then 54" bottom, unless I was running flooded timber and hunting outside of the boat. The thing had a Black death motor on it and it went an easy 40 mph with 4 guys in the boat, it was crazy fast for a mud sled.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. Clam

Clam New Member

The drifting I am referring to is letting the current take the boat Down pretty slow/lazy rivers. The only thing a little motor or oars are used for is keeping straight and avoiding hitting the bank.

JohnBZ likes this.
  5. Billcollector

Billcollector Senior Refuge Member

Clam- Have you considered a Mud Buddy on an Excel boat?

There is a very good dealer in Merrill, Oregon that can do any kind of warranty work, service, rigging, etc.
    Mud Buddy is in Utah, and has lots of Excel boats in stock, ready to go.
    I am partial to Mud Buddy, but they are so much more refined than GD. I would venture to guess GD has built less than a couple hundred of their FNR motors while MB has built several thousand. The HDR comes in a stock 40 hp, a 5000, or you can even get a 6000 turbo engine from me.
    The Excel Pro Hull is an perfect boat for the environments you described. It is lightweight, extremely durable, and can handle bigger water if necessary. It comes in 1751, 1754, 1854, and 1860.

Send me a pm if you would like more info.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

I use these seats

B6FF6518-6661-4ADE-B21D-281379998E17.jpeg

7. MJ

Also, the open floor plan is different than the non-flotation boat. The 1860 open plan will have flotation. It’s just arranged differently than their standard boats to give you more space.

The non-flotation is only available in a 20’ boat due to coast guard regulations.

FA3C9D3E-55B0-48AC-9443-DF9DF4FB2CDE.jpeg 7A117092-7AD9-41BD-ADF4-EE819D2F392B.jpeg

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The idea of having a boat with no flotation vs. a Coast Guard approved full level flotation boat has inspired some hot debate on threads over the years. Flotation takes up room in a boat that can be used for other things.

I believe I run similar water to what you are proposing. Very large lakes and rivers that can turn angry as the weather changes. I have always run a boat with flotation and I also believe in outfitting the boat with one or two high volume bilge pumps. The one I use is 2000 gallons per hour. Divide that by 60 and you are moving some water per minute just in case a rogue wave surprises you.

Others opinions may vary, but when you say you are going to be on Potholes Reservoir and the Columbia River I recommend you go with flotation in your boat.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    MJ likes this.
  9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Here is a pic of what I use for seating in an open boat. This is a small purpose built boat that my buddy and I put together, not my big mud boat. But both are open floor plan. What you see in the picture is a Rogers chair but similar designs are available through Cabelas and elsewhere.

Open floor plan is the bomb. I have mentioned that I've owned five mud boats over the past 15 years, and the keeper I've had for the last 8 is an open floor plan with one removable gun box. Open floor plans give you the most flexibility to configure the boat for hunting or fishing. They carry more decoys and gear. And if you add a boat blind and hunt out of the boat they allow you to position hunters wherever you want. IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2216.JPG

10. MJ

Agree with the flotation when it’s deep and/or rough water.

The deepest water I typically navigate averages 4 feet. While underway, PFDs are mandatory.