Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

New boat...opinions appreciated

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by IowaWaterfowler10, Oct 11, 2020.

1. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

I recently acquired a g3 1544 as you can see in the pictures below. My plan is to remove the middle bench and turn the back bench into two quarter benches. I will plan on storing the battery up front, and running a long tail mud motor off the back, although I haven’t decided how big. I would like to only hunt 2 people and MAYBE a dog at times I will put a modified version of the Phil kahnke low profile blind (attached below) where I will use 8” boat pedestals and boat seats centered in the middle with a slightly higher blind profile. Any other tips ideas or warnings?

Attached Files:

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I always recommend leaving benches with floatation in them... I probably use my boat different then you do... Mine is a duck hunting machine but I also take it to the ocean and scuba dive... I'm just back from a trip where I anchored the boat in 30 foot of water then jumped in to scuba for an hour and a half... Did I mention that it was rough weather? 1754 War Eagle was partially flooded when I got back in the boat. Atleast ten inches of water from a wave coming over the bow while I was in the water... Water was almost over my trolling motor battery in the back.... Boat motor fired up and I started the bilge pump then untied and gingerly turned it down wind back towards port... You WILL appreciate every bit of flotation you have in a situation like that!!!

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Put an aluminum floor in boat pop riveted to ribs and put foam under it to regain some flotation your removing. Of course check for leaks before covering up that hull bottom. Make sure you don,t compromise hull stifness when you remove seats. Some boats no ribs under seats and seat acted as hull strenghter. Weight of a mud motor might cause twist if not stiffened.

4. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

Will lay aluminum with hydro turf on the floor, and a fresh coat of paint on the outside. May have to put some additional ribs in. Does that load seem doable with this size boat? I am typically super cautious when it comes to boat lengths as I have great respect for water especially during duck season. Just want it to be a killer shallow water rig.

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This is old school.
    42 years old. 1878 loweline.
    Zero flotation my dad was a risk taker apparently.
    Want to see the blind details?
    20201012_105632.jpg

Attached Files:

6. DuckZone

DuckZone Refuge Member

We have a 16' boat similar to that. We put foam down and laid 3/8 plywood down. We cut the middle of the front seat down to the floor level and folded back what we didn't cut off. This gave us a place to walk as well as something to attach a future bench to. We have a hard blind on it along with a 25 horse mud motor