New Broadheads

Farm4wildlife

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It was lodged right in the shoulder joint of a running 130+lb animal. That's a lot of leverage. An iron will would have bent at the tip too, it's physics. Any cut on contact broadhead would have.

An Iron Will won't bend. I can guarantee you that. Chip or break, yes it's possible. The better edge retention you get, the more brittle the material will be. Processes help with that.

I saw a 100 grain Iron Will break the humorous bone on the front side shoulder, then bury in the far side humorous on a bull elk last year. It snapped the 250 spine fmj shaft but the IW remained in tact. The shot wasn't a great hit, forward and low, but that elk went down in 80 yards. So tell me again how an IW would have bent on a 130# deer.

Comparing an Iron Will to most other heads is like a formula one or mack truck to a passenger car or half ton truck. If it's worth all the expense is upto the end user. I have a few, I use them out of my stick bows. They are pretty stout little heads, I generally don't use them with compounds and think you can get heads that are close to the same performance without the premium price tag. You break an Iron Will tho and Bill will send you another.

I have played with the Montecs, I don't care for the MIM casting they are using to build them.

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bent, broken, whatever. Still wouldn't survive unscathed. Don't get me wrong, I don't deny iron will are quality, but it seems marginally better than most of the other fixed blade heads on the market but at 3x the cost. Maybe that small difference matters in a stick bow, I don't know anything about them.

Farm4wildlife

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bent, broken, whatever. Still wouldn't survive unscathed. Don't get me wrong, I don't deny iron will are quality, but it seems marginally better than most of the other fixed blade heads on the market but at 3x the cost. Maybe that small difference matters in a stick bow, I don't know anything about them.

Well like I said, it did survive unscathed, on an animal 4 times the size. Rocks are what are so hard on them.

It is the case that with a compound you frequently have energy to burn, so I prefer larger cutting area heads for use in them. The edge retention you get with many of the premium heads can make a big difference in penetration.

Drake91

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This 100gr montec went through a doe's heart and lodged into the shoulder joint on the far side. Near leg broke the arrow off. It peened the tip over, I assumed as she ran off. Ran about 50 yards.

I'm not shooting a very fast bow or heavy draw or it would probably have broken the far shoulder.

F9CAjLk.jpg

ekglm5G.jpg

I had montecs look like that from just hitting rib bones no shoulder contact at all... the tip on that broadhead always seems to smash on those heads... I used muzzy after that kept happening the trocar tip doesnt smash I've blew through shoulder bones and the muzzy would be fine... montecs always true out of my bows but I'd tune and change fletchings to get a muzzy to fly over shooting a montec ever again... that metal is just weak on that broadhead

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started on thunderhead 150 then went to steel force cut on contact w/bleeder. Next I tried the G5 for two seasons. These days I'm shooting Rage 2-blade. Of all, the Rage has been my favorite and most consistent. Steel Force came in a close second and were absolutely deadly. Also, Steel Force will repair or replace for free. The G5 Montecs came in last for the exact reasons stated here. They were only good for 1 kill, then they were deformed.

Popeyoung12

Reaction score
Killed dozens with g5 montecs, switched to g5 deadmeats, 23 pass thrus in a row.. , devastating bts.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I like Magnus fixed blade heads, but those Montec's will kill a deer. Never been a fan of mechanical heads. One more thing to go wrong.