Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

New glasses

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by SEKhunter, Feb 9, 2021.

1. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Been wearing glasses since middle school, pretty lazy with the eye exams.
    My eyes have been giving more issues this year, couldn’t see ducks until maybe 30 yards away and closer, shot was off more often than not. So I went to the eye doc this afternoon, right eye pretty bad, right eye dominant, and turns out I need bifocals.
    I’m now 41 and getting bifocals, I remember when I first got glasses, I basically had to relearn how to shoot.
    Anyone wear bifocals? How different/difficult will shooting be?

2. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

I've worn them the last 6 or 8 years no different.
    Some days I'm like the grim reaper some days not . The only thing that messes with me is when hunting out of layouts . When down and head laying back its hard to pick out at a distance.
    I thought it would be tough but no big deal.
    I got no line ones now and does mess a bit with my pherphial vision. Doesn't hurt me on waterfowl as much as turkeys. Have to turn your head, not your eyes.

3. Govey

Govey New Member

I had to get two pair, one for shooting and one with bifocals, went ahead got a quality pair of shooting glass, good investment.

4. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I have worn bifocals for a long time. As mentioned as long as your not at an odd angle no problem. Same with fishing, if the boat is rocking it is very tough to tie a knot because the angle changes. I miss birds but it is not the glasses dang it.

Govey and Squaller like this.
  5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You get what you pay for, especially with optics... More expensive progressives have a lot less distortion, and functionally work better... For some, a lot better. Most premium progressive lenses are of similar quality, but I have my personal preferences. Some companies certainly have better functioning "cheaper" progressives than others.

Anti-glare coatings are a must. Lens materials make a big difference in some prescriptions. I like photochromic (transition) lenses for daily life, but hate them for hunting (cause they get dark in the morning or under foggy conditions when you do NOT want them to darken).

As an eye doc, I still like single-vision better for shooting... But due to convenience, I wear a progressive bifocal for most of my hunting. If your head ain't straight on the gun, you will have problems (which actually probably helps some shooters). Avoid frames/lenses with wrap. I still prefer a big ugly frame with no wrap, and no bifocal for shooting... But if my gun has issues, or I have to see who is calling, or whatever, I have to switch out glasses.

For sunglasses, I do not get a bifocal. I like a brown or rose polarized lens in a large frame for shooting. Generally a flat Wiley X or Oakley, or old-school aviator frame. Brown and rose provide a lot of contrast, while still providing good polarization. The more yellow in the lens, the less effective the polarization.

But again... Glasses are optics. You can get a pair that will work fine from Costco. A premium lens from a private doc will be fit better with far better lenses... Compare Big 5 binoculars (which work fine) to Swarovski binoculars (which are far superior).

3labman and cacklercrazy like this.
  6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

I wear progressive bifocals. They say some have difficulty with the progressive lens but I took to them like a duck to water.

7. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Two years with them no trouble at all. I even wear the bifocal version of contacts also. Eye Dr thought I might have trouble with them out hunting, but it's been good also.

8. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I can’t wingshoot with bifocals.

for deer hunting, I need a bifocal. One that I can read a book and then look at the foot plot without adjusting my glasses.

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Ok when that 20 year old female is trying her best to sell a shotgunner (you) bifocals tell her betty said no. :)
    Been there and I bought them.
    Waste of loot on me.

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had a hard time adjusting to shooting w/bifocals so I bought a pair of single vision shooting glasses to shoot with, but you may able to adjust. FWIW, I just had cataract surgery & no longer need glasses to shoot or drive, but still need glasses to read.