New guy on LI

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Dtonne85, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Dtonne85

Dtonne85 New Member

Newbie here on LI nassau county. Just got a new pup so hopefully in another year I'll have a duck dog and get out more often. Anyone else in nassau?

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I used to hunt the South Shore, freeport area etc. Moved to Va. great times, grew up as a marsh rat. It's nice you guys don't have blind laws.

3. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

I grew up on the south shore in Nassau County, but moved up to north end of Westchester almost 20 years ago, and mostly hunt the Hudson Valley these days. I hunted Freeport a few times a couple of years ago, ran into a lot of Brant and Old Squaw, grew up fishing the channels out of Freeport my entire childhood, and also hunted LI Sound on the north shore in the recent past. Welcome to the Forum Dtonne85!

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Welcome, I'm way upstate, Finger Lakes area.

5. Joey Clams

Joey Clams Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to Long Island,
    Nassau has great waterfowl hunting, but not without a boat, and you really need to watch your tides.
    Join your local Delta or DU chapter, or join South Shore Waterfowlers and make some friends.
    Good luck!

6. Tailfeathers

Excellent info above. Also there are some Long Island decoy gatherings, waterfowlers,carvers, not poo poo dealers. Is DELTA doing their dinner this year? What about the SSWA outdoor duck boat gathering?

7. Tailfeathers

8. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

Welcome.. What brings you to Nassau County? I moved out to Suffolk County 14 yrs ago. Not too sure if there are many spots to hunt in Nassau w/o a boat?? But there are a good amount out here. And hunting geese I’m sure is next to impossible there as well??
    Not sure if Delta Waterfowl is doing the dinner this year ? We had one in Sept and had our Christmas party in Dec; which we will be having again. But there will be a clay shoot in June. I will post details of both here.
    The SSWA duck boat show has been declining in recent years. It’s usually in late Oct/ early Nov.

Do you hunt mainly ducks?

9. Tailfeathers

There are a few walk in areas on LI, both the North Shore and the South Shore. I remmeber seeing posts on here like 2 -3 or so years ago. The north shore one was on a beach on the sound. Sandy bottom and shallow water so you could set decoys with hip boots on.
    South shore ....not sure. How you like my pun? Ha.
    You simply need to get to know guys. Most guys I have found are really cool. You guys have so much good hunting marsh real estate, totally open, theres no real Secret spots. Guys might want to keep things secret but I think that is rediculous. You have ramps in Point Lookout, Freeport. Baldwin etc. No doubt others that lead you to the Great South Bay, on and on. I am so freakin jealous, I am OD green with envy. :dohOh, dont forget your no blind laws which is the titz.:tu Only a fool :nutzwould complain about the hunting opportunities on Long ( I hate you sumnabits) Island. :joker

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  10. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

I’ve never been to the LI Decoy show before. I am planning to head out there tomorrow. Looking forward to it.