California Flyway Forum Sponsors

New house

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

By the end of next week our foundation will no longer be naked. Windows and trusses are enroute, and things are starting to get real. Sure gonna be nice when we're not living under a bridge anymore. This is the first time we've gone from dirt to house so it's exciting, but kind of scary as well. Interesting knowing you have "X" amount of money to play with and doing a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul maneuvers. But, by playing a very active roll in the project I have found some good cost cutting measures that have allowed us to make some things nicer than originally planned. Picking the exterior colors/layout was the worst. The wife and I had somewhat different ideas on that and it was kind of a mix between negotiating nuclear disarmament with North Korea and wrestling with a porcupine. In the end we both got s little of what we wanted with the scale weighted heavily on her side. :l:l

We can not wait for the RV park to open up in April so we can get back up there and get busy. :tu

2. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Sounds exciting Gene, I wish you the best of luck in this venture.

3. Mean Gene

We'll have a spare bedroom, come on up.

Brottboss likes this.
  4. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

it'll be fun I've built a few homes with my contractor buddies from the dirt up fun projects. I was a carpenter for a yr right out of high school. those were tract homes big difference. haha
    Hope you get in before the end of summer.

5. Mean Gene

I don't see any issue with that. The structure will be up and dried in before I start working on it. All the siding and trim is LP Smartside material so no painting. We will do the wiring, hang the wood on the ceilings and walls, install the trim, hang the interior doors, install the flooring, install the cabinets, install the appliances, insulate the garage/shop walls and cover those with plywood and paint that. My brother is coming out to help me for 2 months once the structure is up, and for the wiring my other brother may come out, and for sure my electrical engineer buddy who is running the electrical through his CAD system right now.

6. dakinunit

dakinunit Elite Refuge Member

You gotta have a nice wood stove,What's that plan for that set up???

7. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Just make sure you don't budge or skimp on the 4 car/truck/boat garage and the work shop.

8. Mean Gene

That will be in the great room at the front of the house. The air intake for the furnace will be at the top of the vaulted ceiling directly above that. Turn on the fan and circulate warm air all the time. Have 1/2 a logging truck of wood on the ground right now waiting for me to buck and split it.

9. Mean Gene

1500 sq ft garage/shop, 12 foot sidewalls, 24 ft roof extension on one gabled end. That is "connected" to the house by a 12x12 mud room. Far end of the shop, on the gabled end with the roof extension are two 15x15 insulated rooms. One room for carving decoys, one room for my fly tying and fishing stuff. Ceilings of those rooms are at 8 ft, which gives me 3 1/2 feet of storage on top between the ceiling of the room and the ceiling of the shop.

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I guess you’ll be ready to come chase gators in October?

Mean Gene likes this.