New Hunter from the Willamette Valley

Discussion in 'Member Intros, Announcements, Refuge Gang Events' started by Oregonloved, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Oregonloved

Oregonloved New Member

Hey all, I'm new to hunting this year but am already loving the extra time outside and learning everything I can.

Only managed to put down a cottontail so far and just started goose hunting earlier this month.

Don't have much for equipment yet. 4 full body decoys I just bought but haven't used yet, been using 4 silhouette deeks I made myself. I have 2 calls, one flute and one short Reed. Haven't managed to call anything close enough for a shot.

Anyone here willing to take me out to and show me the ropes would be much appreciated. I'm 32, responsible and don't mind doing my part of the work. I'm really out to learn all I can. Hopefully bag at least one goose before March 10th but might have to wait and prep for the fall.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge

-B

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Welcome aboard!!!! You’re on the right path. Be sure to checkout the Oregon subforum.

3. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

I grew up hunting around Silverton and on over toward McMinville. We used lots of homemade silhouettes. They worked great. Alot of the commercial grass farmers qive permission to goose hunters (or at least used to when I lived there) A layout blind is real handy. Cover it with green and put out your silhouettes.
    Biggest key is drive around and see whose grass field is getting ravaged then ask permission. Scouting is one of your best tools.
    Good luck and good hunting

4. Oregonloved

Oregonloved New Member

As soon as turkey hunting is over I'm gonna hit that area for permission over the summer. I grew up in Silverton and hopefully can find a good plot of land in need.

Thanks for the response

5. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

Try out near Lake Labish area too. My buddy and I used to get alot of birds out there. My folks still live in Silverton. I may get back down there for my 40th class reunion this summer. Check at the coop and ask which farmers are complaining about their grass getting eaten. Good way to score a deer hunt too. Your greened up layout blind is a good thing at dusk when the deer hit the fields;-)
    Good luck

6. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Wish I had seen this sooner. I would have taken you out. Perhaps next season.

7. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Refuge.

8. Oregonloved

Oregonloved New Member

Keep me in mind when the season rolls around again. I'm always up to learn more. I came so close on the last couple days of the season, so I feel pretty good about this fall

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Welcome!:grvn:grvn

10. Thissell

Thissell New Member