Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by thunderfromdownunder, Aug 17, 2021.
No more legs and thighs.
From the Regulations (which I posted about 10 threads ago, but never read):
Wanton Waste – No person shall kill or cripple any migratory game bird pursuant to this part without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in his/her actual custody. Under Montana law, it is unlawful to waste any part of a game bird suitable for food. For migratory birds, suitable for food means the breast meat.
I have been after this since I moved here 17 years ago. First couple of years, I didn't even know it existed, and I was in violation. (No such rule in NV)
I was sorta friends with the local State Representative. Only guy I have ever put an election sign out for. I asked him about it, and he looked into it. Said there was no incentive to change it, and it would have to be recommended from MT FWP. Even know a guy who works there, but he said the same thing.
I wonder who got the ball rolling?
Great to have the reg gone, but I’m still going to keep ‘em because I like ’em.
Oh, I will keep some of em, but when I got 3 limits hanging, it will be nice to just breast em out and get em in the freezer.
The thighs are great for my giblet gravy.
If it took 17 years and you got the ball rolling I wouldn’t pat yourself on the back.
It’s a bs law that they could write a ticket. They are more about money than doing good for this state. FWP is a joke.
Did I say I did anything? Pretty clear that I was surprised.
As to the rest of your posts,
Glad to hear that. It takes me about 20 minutes to do a bird. 40% of the time goes into getting the breast out. The other 60% is for the legs.
So I’m going to spend 60% less time cleaning birds this fall. That is a great number to look forward to.
About time. Was a stupid rule I thought.
Email from FWP, no more legs and thighs, AND we finally get a real Muzzleloader season! Would have been nice it if was during the Christmas Holiday, but I guess that would have been way too logical for the commission
Fish and Wildlife Commission approves changes to elk shoulder seasons
The Fish and Wildlife Commission approved changes to elk shoulder seasons in several hunting districts at its meeting on Aug. 20.
All changes apply to this coming hunting season. However, no early shoulder seasons were added.
Elk shoulder season changes made by the commission:
a shoulder season in hunting district 314 that applies to LPT 314-00 only and is not valid on public lands;
extending shoulder season to Feb. 15, 2022 for HDs 262, 290, 298, 314, 390, 391, 393, 411 east of Montana Highway 238 only, 417, 502, 510, 511, 520, 530, 540, 560, 575, 580 and 590;
including public lands in expanded shoulder seasons in HD 411 east of highway 238 and HDs 417, 530, 540, 580 and 590. These public lands include the Yellowstone Wildlife Management Area.
Elk shoulder seasons provide the ability to harvest more antlerless elk. Several hunting districts remain above population objective even with late shoulder seasons. The extension of the late season is intended to increase antlerless harvest or alter elk distributions. The extension applies to all elk licenses and permits valid for shoulder seasons in these hunting districts except in HD 314.
Fish and Wildlife Commission adopts regulations for muzzleloader season
The Fish and Wildlife Commission adopted regulations for Montana’s first traditional muzzleloader season at its meeting on Aug. 20.
House Bill 242 was passed in the 2021 Legislative Session and established a nine-day muzzleloader heritage hunting season for deer and elk that begins on the second Saturday following the end of the regular season. For 2021, the season is Dec. 11 to Dec. 19. To address this new statute, the commission adopted the following regulations, most of which are based on language from the statute:
A person may take a deer or elk with a license or permit that is still valid at the end of the general hunting season.
>> Read more
Migratory bird hunters reminded of change to wanton waste of game statute
The 2021 Migratory Bird Regulation booklets contain language on wanton waste of game that is no longer accurate. Because the regulations were printed before the Montana Legislature changed the statute, the information is outdated.
The regulation reflecting the new statute reads:
“Waste of Game (MCA 87-6-205) Wanton Waste – No person shall kill or cripple any migratory game bird pursuant to this part without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird and retain it in his/her actual custody. Under Montana law, it is unlawful to waste any part of a game bird suitable for food. For migratory birds, suitable for food means the breast meat.”
The regulations posted on the FWP website are current with the new language.