New Maxus 2 wicked wing. Choke/ammo

Robert m

Reaction score
Hello all, posting this on behalf of a buddy.
Recently purchased Maxus 2 wicked wing 12gauge 28inch barrel.

To save some money with trial and error, we just want a general idea what some people are using in regards of choke/ammo combo?

We also live about 2 hours away from the nearest place we can pattern a gun, so we just want to see what everyone’s running first before we head out

Thanks!!

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I would say… try what came with the gun before buying something you may not need.

2 hours away to pattern. Is there not a farmer close by? Knock on door, explain you only want to pattern a shotgun at 40 yards.

Dr Swane

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hello all, posting this on behalf of a buddy.
Recently purchased Maxus 2 wicked wing 12gauge 28inch barrel.

To save some money with trial and error, we just want a general idea what some people are using in regards of choke/ammo combo?

We also live about 2 hours away from the nearest place we can pattern a gun, so we just want to see what everyone’s running first before we head out

Thanks!!
Carlson Cremators and many factory ammo have really good patterns in the Maxus 2. We like long range (improved mod)

Shot steel 3’s, 2’s, 1’s, bismuth 4-bb, hevi Metal 1’s, black cloud. All patterned very well.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Don’t know about the maxis but my Cynergy factory chokes ic and mod do just fine to 40. Cremator CR and MR do better on the pattering board but factory kills drt in the field. The Cremstor LR is too tight for less than 40. It just throws an angry knot.

SkolMNDuckHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If he just HAS TO have an aftermarket choke, pick a reputable brand light mod and just shoot it

metalworx

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Carlson Cremators and many factory ammo have really good patterns in the Maxus 2. We like long range (improved mod
I'm shooting a Carlson Cremator mid range and Browning wicked wing 3" 1¼oz #2 shells and having very good results with this combination. 28" barrel also

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Twin modified Midas extended in my 28” Cynergy with #2 works all around. The factory mod was plenty good but it only came with one and all were shiny…got the two in black and matching. :-/

Last edited:

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Both of these variables depend on the game/targets he is shooting at and the distance at which he is shooting.
There is no one right answer. Just about any choke and reasonable load will work in most instances.
He might start with what he was shooting in his old gun....provided there is one.

Beyond that, start out with the Mod tube that came with the gun and whatever shells he has been using in the past and still has sitting in his ammo closet. That's a cheap first step....

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Beyond that, start out with the Mod tube that came with the gun and whatever shells he has been using in the past and still has sitting in his ammo closet. That's a cheap first step....
I'm betting that, after trying the chokes that came with the gun, and five or so shells from every different box of loads you (the OP) and he (the new owner) have, you'll find several that will work for him quite well.

mudhen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I like the Banded extended chokes that come with the WW editions…

Latest posts