New Member Metro Detroit

Discussion in 'Member Intros, Announcements, Refuge Gang Events' started by Josh T, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Josh T

Josh T New Member

Hello all
    Mid 30s engineer in the Metro Detroit area, I have been hunting ducks for about 10 years now, seriously doing it for about the last 5, primarily have hunted puddle ducks on the back swamps of northern Michigan either hiking in or out of a kayak. This will be my first year diver hunting on Lake St. Clair, bought a 16' and decoys this past winter and have been slowly getting things ready. Looking forward to all the information available here.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  2. Out of focus

Out of focus Refuge Member

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Welcome aboard!!!!

4. JDO

JDO New Member

Hi Josh, I just joined the forum too, so welcome . . . to us!
    I am considering a diver hunt on Lake Michigan this fall. My cousin has a cabin in Green Bay and I found an outfitter out of Green Bay that does layout hunts for bluebills. Would be interested to hear about your diver hunts . . .

5. Josh T

Josh T New Member

My experience now is limited. I have been duck hunting for a while, but mostly puddlers. Last fall one of my suppliers took me on a diver hunt on Saginaw Bay, 20 something foot pontoon with a large blind on top, small camp kitchen, huge decoy spread, the 4 of us shot 18 birds in a few hours, the action was steady, there was hot food and coffee, it was alot more comfortable than alot of what I had been doing, saw way more birds. I live a few minutes from a Lake St. Clair launch so I figure if I can drive 5 minutes to hunt it would be alot better than the 3-5 hours I usually drive.

6. JDO

JDO New Member

That's what I call hunting in style! I just saw an article in Waterfowl Mag about a guy who made a blind out of a big pontoon boat - seemed like a good way to go, very roomy and comfortable.

7. Josh T

Josh T New Member

JD most definately, there was plenty of room on the pontoon, if I had a vehicle that could pull a pontoon and trailer I would have gone that route, plenty of em around for pretty cheap.