New Mexico Elk

Long Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I unloaded my .54 muzzleloader on a tree. The power belt was smeared on the surface like chewing gum!!

redjones

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
First and only time I tried them,had to shoot a 120lb doe 4 times to finally kill her.
First shot was maybe 40 yds,fell then got up staggering walking,2nd and 3rd shots same result,finally got close enough to kill her,head shot from a couple yds away.
I felt terrible,for the life of me I couldn't understand what went wrong,started gutting her and found one of the bullets under her skin,I could have wiped it off and reshot it,looked to be unused.
Never again,wouldn't shoot them if I had a free lifetime supply.
Been shooting Hornady low drags with 90grs. of Black Horn for quite awhile now and they have been fine.

Greg

2eagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I just tossing this in, I started using Powerbelts, guys Ive run into hate or love them. A friend convinced me that they dont perform well.
I weighted my powder( not volume) Power belts just were not accurate in My Traditions .
I was using https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/great-plains#!/ which seemed to shoot fine. But I killed this years elk with a lead ball, 29( or was it 23 ) yard shot 1/4 to broadside. elk went 15 yards.
I used those Hornadys in my T/C High Plains Sporter. They did a great job.

2eagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can’t get reliable ignition with Blackhorn in my T/C Encore. I tried a couple different breech plugs and it worked sometimes but not always. It seems to be great stuff and I wish I could use it.

Boomerzuma

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thor bullets are outstanding! Make sure you buy the sizing kit to determine the bullet diameter you need. I thought the Barnes bullets were good until I tried the Thors. They shoot great out of my CVA Accura!