New Migratory Bird Regulation proposals

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Jun 7, 2019.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

The following passage comes from http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2019/2019-06-01/html/reg3-eng.html

"Canada Gazette, Part I, Volume 153, Number 22: Migratory Birds Regulations.

June 1, 2019...

...Part 3 — Overabundance, damage and danger...

...Change in the definition of decoy

It is proposed that decoy be defined as an artificial bird or any device that imitates the colour, shape or size of a migratory bird and may attract migratory birds. This proposed change is to ensure that all means used to look like and attract migratory birds, such as using white plastic bags in a field to attract snow geese, are also prohibited. The use of decoys and bird calls would remain prohibited under a damage or danger permit..."

Can anyone enlighten me is as to what actually meant by this???

Other than that,,, there are some interesting proposals coming forward regarding youth hunting and possession definations that are quite positive from a hunters standpoint,,, worth the read!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I take that one as meaning farmers are tired of white plastic bags blowing all over the countryside. Or diapers. They figure hunters will pick up their actual decoys.

My 'assumption' is, that if someone applied for a 'damage or danger' permit, there would be no 'need' for decoys, since the birds would be returning to the spot of their own volition. So, you can't get a special permit for the purposes of normal hunting practices.

And, yes, those possession changes are interesting, if somewhat confusing.

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I think they are saying for damage permits no decoys or anything that resembles a bird. Here (va) we can’t use decoys or calls on a damage permit.

JRS likes this.
  4. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Decoys and bird calls have not been allowed on damage permit shoots here in Canada as long as I can remember and I have been hunting waterfowl for 50 years now,,,, I guess defining a decoy for the purposes of a damage shoot might make sense but it does seem to border on redundancy and it doesn't clarify if this restriction applies only to damage or danger permits when the proposal falls under " ...Part 3 — Overabundance, damage and danger..."

5. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Must of caught someone hunting on a damage permit that was using trash bags. Seems like they are just clearing up what constitutes a decoy.