New Mud Buddy HD 35 won't start...

JDLONG

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I should have bought a Pro Drive!!! :D

Hoping for some troubleshooting help from the Mud Buddy owners (or anyone that knows more than I do about motors...which is everyone) Took my new rig out over the weekend for a hunt. Motor has about 30 hours on it. Started right up as always, but died about ten seconds later. Tried a few more times, turned over but wouldn't start. Waited 30-minutes, tried again, nothing. She turns over and tries as long as I have the key in the start position but won't start. Thought maybe I just flooded it. I tried again last night, nothing. Just turns over.

Full tank of gas, fuel line looks good, all connections look good. Battery is obviously fine. I'm mechanically illiterate...I own a screwdriver and a hammer...I need help. :z Thought I'd try for some suggestions here before I call Mud Buddy.

Drollz

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
IS it fuel injected? Does it have a electronic fuel pump? Mine is and somtimes I have to cycle the fuel pump a few times to get the fuel bak in the line. So it might have something to do with the fuel pump. That is my best guess. If it has an electric fuel pump you should be able to hear the pump running when you turn the key to "on" not start.

shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Check to be sure you're getting gas to the plugs. Might have a clog somewhere.

Remember - 3 components of combustion: Fuel / Air / Spark

If you don't have all of 'em, there will be no joy

RefugeHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is it getting fuel? Do you smell gas after it's been cranking but not starting?

If no gas smell, is there a fuel shutoff valve you forgot to open? Check for a plugged gas filter, broken fuel pump.

If there is gas smell, are you getting spark?

Pull the spark plug connector stick a screw driver inside and crank the engine while holding the screwdirver close to a ground. If you are getting spark you should see a spark jump from the screwdirver.

What ever you do don't check for spark around gas fumes.

If you are getting both gas and spark then my guess would be some sort of timing issue.

AzSprig

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds silly but...................is the kill switch engaged ?

JDLONG

Refuge Member
Reaction score
AzSprig said:
Sounds silly but...................is the kill switch engaged ?

No, not silly for a mechanically illiterate moron like myself! :yes I've done it once already...first time out on the boat...the kill switch clip had come off...took a few minutes of stranded panic before I figured it out! :z

I checked it this time, it's not the kill switch. Thanks though.

JDLONG

Refuge Member
Reaction score
DEADUCKS said:
mud buddy pro drive same motor:rolleyes: but ok

Yeah, I know...both great motors. I just said that because I've seen and heard the good spirited debate between which motor is better. Right now, I'm liking Pro Drive. :D

JDLONG

Refuge Member
Reaction score
RefugeHunter said:
Is it getting fuel? Do you smell gas after it's been cranking but not starting?

If no gas smell, is there a fuel shutoff valve you forgot to open? Check for a plugged gas filter, broken fuel pump.

If there is gas smell, are you getting spark?

Pull the spark plug connector stick a screw driver inside and crank the engine while holding the screwdirver close to a ground. If you are getting spark you should see a spark jump from the screwdirver.

What ever you do don't check for spark around gas fumes.

If you are getting both gas and spark then my guess would be some sort of timing issue.

Yep, I am smelling gas after cranking it...pretty strong smell in fact. The vent on my gas tank is open, checked that. I'll check to see if I'm getting spark.

Thanks!