New RM model... I am so pumped for it!

Trevor Shannahan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Trevor, what particular call do you use that has the characteristics that you like?
And is there one in the RM lineup that you prefer for cleaning it up?
Love a .410 and an old GD2 for hunting. A CWF w/ no air grooves is what I use for contests because of its range, but I prefer the other 2 for hunting because they run a lot looser and have a bit higher pitch to them than the CWF. Lower pitched are more pleasing to the human ear, but high pitch is what kills for me day in and day out. My main call is one of my molded open water inserts in a shorter barrel though, that call has been the last thing that thousands of ducks have heard.

lanthanide

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I consistently kill just fine, all across the country, with a call I can clean up and put rasp into when I want. Listen to the best cutdown guys out there, they are smoother sounding, not a crunchy rattle.

This design won’t make my lanyard because it limits what I can do and doesn’t do what I know I need to kill ducks the way that I do. As I said, it will work great for some people, but it’s definitely designed for guys who don’t know how to get duck out of a call, that’s why it’s already hanging on my dads lanyard. For me personally, I would hunt every other design in the RM lineup except the Pothole over it. Now put a traditional reed in the call and it’s a different story, but still lower pitched than what I normally like in a hunting call. I’m not critiquing the call, just giving an honest opinion of what it is and who it would best serve.
I would hunt every other design in the RM lineup except the Pothole over it.
Wow...very strong statement. Kind of like saying: "I'd hunt with a Mossberg...if my only other choice was a sharp stick". Of course I've never blown one...but was curious. Maybe a bit less so now.

mtncntrykid

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I received my BT call yesterday and just playing with it today I already know it is going on the lanyard. The ease of this call to blow is incredible and the similar sounds to a cutdown you can get are impressive. As stated earlier, another tool to use on those finicky ducks that have had everything thrown at them on their way down here.
Finally a call that these OLD lungs still have enough air to feed. Thanks Stump!

lanthanide

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mine just came in the mail today. It's makes great sounds...very hard not to love it. But to Trevor's point, I'm withholding judgement. Here in South Dakota...or at least my part...things are pretty froze up. Some geese left but most ducks are beating feet south so its use this season may not happen.

However...I do agree with Trevor in my experience as well. Where I hunt the prairie is open and flat. I use high pitch to get them out of the stratosphere. Loud is well and good, but it's that sharp, high pitch that turns them for me way out there. Not a lot of flooded timber here. We'll see how it might work as a finisher. Just started playing with RM calls in earnest this season. Still using my Calef 'Shocker' for a lot of work. The 410 and FTM worked very well.

Blueblood

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, the call runs very easy up and down. However, the cracky clank is to much for what I like. Absolute beautiful call though.

drk9988

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, the call runs very easy up and down. However, the cracky clank is to much for what I like. Absolute beautiful call though.
I live about 20 yards from a pond that holds ducks year round..99% mallards... Lots of running water around, wind, inside the house, around corners. The clanky sound is what carries from the hens... Sometimes I will be too far or inside and just hear the clank.There is a thickness to their quacks... I wouldn't give up on it yet.. It's not always how you hear it... its how they hear it.ie cutdowns