New shotgun needed.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
One of the nice things about the browning/ winchester gas guns is the piston can be sent to surecycle and have the piston sealed. They also make a lighter recoil spring. I cut my lightest spring 2 inches and it will flawlessly cycle 3/4 oz loads.

Jmuv

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I received a reply to my inquiry to RemArm today. I had ask when or if they were planning to manufacture the Versa Max Sportsman in a left handed model. The reply was ”Late 2022”. As long as it comes before duck season I will wait for it’s release. If not I will purchase a Winchester Sx4 left handed wood stock.Thanks for all the reply’s and advice.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
One of the nice things about the browning/ winchester gas guns is the piston can be sent to surecycle and have the piston sealed. They also make a lighter recoil spring. I cut my lightest spring 2 inches and it will flawlessly cycle 3/4 oz loads.
My only question is: why? :scratch

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am in a boat somewhat similar to OP's. I have a posterior vitreous detachment in my right eye (that's the next best thing to a detached retina), and a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Orthopedist and opthalmologist both told me to cut way back on shooting and hunting. I went back to doves with my 2-1/2" Rem 1100 in .410, and worked my back up to my 20ga Beretta 686 before the shoulder got sore. At that point I got a Win SX3 20ga, and that solved my dove problem. I still use the .410 and 28s when conditions are right, but the SX3 is my go-to for windy conditions or late season high flyers. The SX3 worked so well in 20ga that I found a 12ga to use for ducks and pheasants, and I cut back on payload and velocity. Shoot mostly 3" 1-1/8oz steel at 1300-1400fps, not many many ducks around so the shoulder tolerates it pretty well.

Re the Turkish rumor, I just pulled my 12ga SX3 ducker (Black Shadow), and it is clearly marked "Made By FN-Belgium," no mention of Turkey or Portugal. I did have a Browning Stalker 20 years ago that was made or assembled in Portugal. That gun was a POS, very unreliable, even with three bouts of warranty work, gone now. Re Beretta vs SX3, two of my buddies shoot Beretta gas guns and they handle like a pig on the end of a shovel in comparison to the SX3. And the Berettas are a lot more trouble to keep clean and working smoothly. Personal experience. Having said all that, I don't like gas semis, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. I'd much rather shoot my 870.
Try some one ounce loads at 1400 fps. They should kick less than your 9/8 at 1300 (though not much) and are just as effective at decoying birds, which you’re already kinda limited to at 1300 with steel shot. If you reload I have a good recipe for you.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tuleman-3/4 oz and prob hw15. Broken neck and collarbone didn't heal correctly. Displaced ribs still float. As much recoil reduction as possible.

Scott yellowdog

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that I have gotten to the point where I am going to have to retire my bps. Neck problems sent me to a surgeon who said that if I want to continue to waterfowl hunt I need to limit the recoil I subject myself to. I have heard that gas guns recoil much less than others. I am a left handed shooter. Any recommendations? I was already told that I could shoot tts shot but at the price I have seen I wouldn’t be able to afford to hunt much. I would not be adverse to a 20 but the key is limited recoil. Any advice would be appreciated. I am on a fixed income so I have to get it right the first time.
Man sorry bout bps what a gun but on your choice on the new gun all I can add is pay attention to weight the lighter the gun the more it kicks I feel but some want light so . Maybe go to gun shops that will let you shoot the used guns and maybe figure it out maintenance on gas guns I own a sbe and the reason I'm terrible bout maintenance lol really tho

Idahotim

Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you like your BPS why not just make the gun kick less?? I mean why not change out recoil pad ,try lighter loads, try a different stock pad combination, add ported choke match it to your loads. If your on a fixed income ,I would try easy less expensive things first. Just a thought.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you like your BPS why not just make the gun kick less?? I mean why not change out recoil pad ,try lighter loads, try a different stock pad combination, add ported choke match it to your loads. If your on a fixed income ,I would try easy less expensive things first. Just a thought.
No matter what you do to a BPS or any pump it will have more recoil than a gas auto with the same load. Been there, done that with several guns over the years as my need for lower increased. Why would soomone with low recoil needs make a choice like that when there are MANY, MUCH better options out there? When it comes to health and safety one doesnt cheap out.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Other than making his hunting buddies miserable, what would a ported choke accomplish?

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Idahotim might actually be right on a couple fronts. It's a gun op already owns. (Fixed income) With a low low recoil load with one of the htl shot types he can actually cut the recoil in half. Alot of semi autos won't cycle at 10 to 12 lbs of recoil. A pump will work for the lowest of loads. And those loads can be better than the steel loads OP is probably shooting. Omahamarion recoil calculator is always the place to start...

Latest posts