new shotgun

huntgeeseya

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
i just got a new shotgun and was wondering if you needed a choke to hunt for geese? if so what kind? im new to the sport and was just wondering

ganderlander12

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be using a new shotgun without a choke at all. You should always keep a choke of some kind in your shotgun to avoid damaging your barrel and choke threads.

If I were you, I would go with a modified restriction. It's a great all-purpose choke.

If you are going to be shooting at close distances use an improved cylinder or a light modified.

Dont use an improved modified or a full choke with steel shot as it can damage your barrel. ( unless otherwise stated in manual )

I always use a modifed. It smokes geese at 10-15 yards but will also reach out to the 50-60 yard range in case you need to put down a cripple.

ganderlander12

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be using a new shotgun without a choke at all. You should always keep a choke of some kind in your shotgun to avoid damaging your barrel and choke threads.

If I were you, I would go with a modified restriction. It's a great all-purpose choke.

If you are going to be shooting at close distances use an improved cylinder or a light-modified.

Dont use an improved-modified or a full choke with steel shot as it can damage your barrel. ( unless otherwise stated in manual )

I always use a modifed. It smokes geese at 10-15 yards but will also reach out to the 50-60 yard range in case you need to put down a cripple.

GRENHDKILR

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My question is you got a new shotgun well what kind is it and congatulations hope you kill alot of birds with it:tu

FishingFool46456

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The gun didnt come with any chokes at all? Sportsmans in Loveland has a lot of choke tubes.

Goochman

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What kind and how old is it. A lot of the older guns do not have choke tubes.

Niki's dad

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got a Mavrick and it only came with one choke, I bougtht additional ones at Wallmart.