Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

New to Alabama

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Ebkaech, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ebkaech

Ebkaech New Member

Hey everyone, I just moved down to this great state from Illinois. I’ve been duck and goose hunting my whole life and would really like to continue that. I’m in the Hoover area and could really use some public land guidance if anyone has any. I’m 100% ready to put in the scouting work, but I just don’t know which WMA to even start with. I have deeks, waders, and a kayak. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Have a great weekend.

Eric

2. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to the great state of Alabama but I’m afraid you may be disappointed in public hunting here. Public hunting here especially without someone with local knowledge is going to be very frustrating. Try to find other people who share your waterfowl passion and do everything in your power to get an invitation to go with them and then keep your mouth shut about anywhere they take you and don’t go without them. Maybe plan a trip with your new contacts over to Arkansas or Mississippi. I’ve heard of several people who have killed some ducks on the special opportunity hunts to state offers but have no idea how you might sign up for them. Sorry I can’t help you more.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Central AL (I’m originally from north of B’ham) is the most devoid part of AL for ducks. Come north and hunt the TN river if you wanna at least have a few opportunities, or go south to the coast when it’s frozen up here (N AL). If willing to leave the state, you could research AR or MS or MO, or S IL, or TN, and have better opportunities. Most ducks in your area stay on farm ponds.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If you can’t find some farm ponds or someone’s private beaver swamp to hunt, just for something to do on a Saturday local, you’ll be better off traveling elsewhere. Most public land opportunities in AL are now under mob rule by the flatbill redneck generation, and the big impoundments are covered up with folks in every patch of grass within 20 yards of a bank, anywhere you go. Now, the middle is also filling up with layout boats every few hundred yards, as well.....since divers are 90% of what’s left, and the youngers have ‘suddenly’ figured out they need to be big water diver pros. 15-20 years ago and before, it was workable or worth it to hunt public land. It’s just not anymore, to me. Even if you find a place, three of the buzzards are gonna downwind you within your first few shots. I’d love to be able to offer encouragement, because it CAN be done, but the learning curve is steep, the stupid circus is packed, and the return on investment sucks....compared to a few 3-day trips elsewhere or even one 5-day Canada jaunt.

5. Ebkaech

Ebkaech New Member

Thanks for everyone’s input. Sounds like I am going to have to put some miles on to go where the hunting is good. It’s challenging starting all over from scratch to find hunting spots but, I am hopeful that I will come up with something!