Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

new to Nashville

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by Colton Williams, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Colton Williams

Colton Williams New Member

Hey the names Colton,

I'm an avid outdoorsman that has just moved to TN to be closer to my wife's family. I come from coastal NC so I have diver and wood duck experience. I don't have any friends to hunt with here and would love some pointers on public lands where to go or avoid!
    Shoot me an email coltonwilliams1993@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Colton

2. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Go west young man.

Colton Williams and bill cooksey like this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

There are plenty of public places around Nashville where a fellow can duck hunt. Now, if really killing ducks on a regular basis is your desire, J.Scott told you right.

You're in a good area though for turkey and deer.

Colton Williams likes this.
  4. Colton Williams

Thanks for the response Bill,
    Have you hunted any of the public land around Nashville or mainly private?

5. bill cooksey

Never hunted ducks anywhere near Nashville. If I lived in Nashville, I wouldn't hunt ducks there except on an invite from friends. In TN, I won't hunt east of KY Lake.

6. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

IMO. its a real challenge to find some public duck hunting in much of TN , and most who know about it will not discuss it on a forum. And frankly most won't share to a stranger any of the info period, as it a precious piece of info. Unless you hit a major frontal passage just right most of the public hunting is going to be by floating stream or river , or will take a lot of scouting to find the back of a cove or bank on a major lake where birds hang out.

7. bill cooksey

Go to the TWRA website and look at the WMAs. Many in Middle and East TN aren't waterfowl areas, but some are along with most in West TN. See if they have permanent blinds. If so, you can blind hop. If blind owner isn't there at shooting time, it is open to anyone. I haven't done that since I was a kid because the good blinds are almost always occupied, but you can kill ducks. On the areas without blinds, you'll need a boat blind on some and others you can stand by a tree. Water on all of them in the west will vary a great deal from various river levels.

Learning the WMAs will keep you occupied for a few years, but there are a lot of other public places. Most rivers and lakes offer some public opportunity, but again, if you don't have the time to make regular trips west of KY Lake, your odds of regularly killing ducks will be low. Then again, if we get the type of weather we have the last two seasons, killing regularly won't be a thing anywhere.

8. Colton Williams

Thanks alot for the help! Bill! I'm used to back home posting up in the boat blind in the marsh praying to see something. I've been noticing a lot of residential geese on tims Ford lake. I don't believe there is any kind of wma around that lake but imagine there are residential geese about every lake then.

9. bill cooksey

Pretty much resident geese on every body of water until September 2and. Through the early 90s TN usually got a good migration of Canadas in late December. Again, most lakes and rivers are open for hunting, and a phone call to your regional TWRA office will let you know for sure.

Colton Williams likes this.
  10. cfree5119

cfree5119 New Member

Hey Colton, I hunted 3-4 days last year during the holidays on some WMAs. Came away with 5 ducks or so with 2 days being successful. This was kind of a first go for me on the WMAs so I have done some more scouting since.

Happy to try to get together and beat our heads against the wall. I have some gear, need to pick up an A-frame, have a title HR dog, but in all looking for someone to hunt with this year. Shoot me a PM.