New to Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ccordray, Jan 1, 2004.

1. ccordray

ccordray Elite Refuge Member

Guys-

I'm new to reloading. Well actually, I haven't even started yet. I have a MEC Steelmaster and all the other goodies on my way to my house via Cabelas. Can any of you give me any heads up or tips as to reloading High Velocity steel loads and what not? I'd appreciate anyone and everyone's input. Thanks.

2. Ned S

Ned S Elite Refuge Member

Get the RSI Reloading Hand Book from Bucks Run 800 274 0403 and the BP Status of steel at 888 273 5623. For use of the Mec, Lymans 4 th edition Reloading Handbook is good. RSI has the fastest recipes with the lowest pressures. Also see Alliants recipes at www.alliantpowder.com. Feel free to send me a PM anytime. Also what gun(s) do you shoot? Ned S

3. ccordray

ccordray Elite Refuge Member

Ned-

For waterfowl I shoot a Beretta AL390 but I occasionally go back to an 870 Wingmaster. Thanks for the tips.

4. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Ned's advice is good, get as many manuals as you can, read them and ask as many questions as you feel you need to. You may want to start out loading some lighter lead loads first, as steel loading is a little complicated and a whole different ballgame than lead loading. I myself hand measure all the powder and shot for steel loads, on a good scale which is hopefully coming to you in your package of goodies. Your scale will be your best friend for reloading. Never ,never trust powder bushing to be an accurate measure of your powder charges, powder can differ in weight from lot to lot and due to other conditions such as humidity. Always weigh your powder charges to see if a bushing is throwing what it is supposed to throw.
    I would get the Lyman Shotshell manual and read it cover to cover before I started loading, it will take you step by step through all the processes. Saftey is the number one issue with reloading and understanding what a safe load is and what a dangreous load is should be tops on everyones list who reloads.
    Feel free to ask any questions, as I and many others on here are more than willing to help out.
    Joe