NEW TRAIL CAMERA RULE IN EFFECT JAN. 1 IN ARIZONA

JDK

Reaction score
If you plan on using trail cameras in Arizona to scope out where big game animals may be, think again. Starting Jan. 1, 2022, a new rule (R12-4-303.A.5) prohibits the use of a trail camera “for the purposes of taking or locating or aiding in the take of wildlife,” according to the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

In June, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission unanimously approved the new rule after “an extensive public input process.” This rule expands upon a previous 2018 rule that prohibited the use of live action trail cameras for locating/taking/aiding the take of wildlife and specifically applies to the use of trail cameras to aid hunting efforts. Anyone using trail cameras for research, general photography, cattle operations or security purposes can continue to do so.

One major note: Any photograph or its data captured by a trail camera AFTER Jan. 1, 2022 and used for the take or aiding in the take of wildlife will be unlawful, even if that was not the initial intended use of the trail camera.

For more details on the new rule, click here.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wish they would adopt this in every state.

timbutcher

Reaction score
I will never be able to find that damn bigfoot now.

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wish they would adopt this in every state.

People abused their use and really left the game commission no other option here in AZ. I’m sure guys will do the same elsewhere!
7D2250BC-9539-4922-92E8-3EDDDAAF27BB.jpeg

timbutcher

Reaction score
What’s up with that picture looks like a poachers house got raided?

Reactions: JDK

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What’s up with that picture looks like a poachers house got raided?

This was a social media post from an outfitter that was circumventing the “live action” camera restriction. Basically they hire a “scout” who is just a young kid on a dirt bike who checks the outfitter’s string of cameras. Once a trophy bull is located, the scout relays the location via walkie talkie. The outfitter would then put the client in the adjacent blind. The commission determined this type of camera use to be against our fair chase philosophy.

timbutcher

Reaction score
Yes running cameras has been a big thing.
This all originated on the strip chasing big deer.

timbutcher

Reaction score
Sucks for me as I am close to max points for
My sheep hunt. Which this would really help.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
People abused their use and really left the game commission no other option here in AZ. I’m sure guys will do the same elsewhere!
View attachment 322899

There isn’t a YouTube hunter these days that doesn’t send out an army of these for their business run on public land. It’s lazy and stupid.

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
There isn’t a YouTube hunter these days that doesn’t send out an army of these for their business run on public land. It’s lazy and stupid.

The camera technology has really come down in price, so yeah everyone has them! You are right that it is not only outfitters abusing their use now, since they are readily available to most hunters.

Latest posts