New wetland access trail for hunters

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by rjefre, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

The Utah Waterfowl Association has been hounding the State Lands Divison about doing something about phragmites for a long time now. One of the main concerns in the fall is that phrag has cut off nearly all access to state lands due to its thickness. Well, they made a good faith effort today. They took their new track machine and cut a trail from the Antelope Island parking lot (by the gate) all the way southwest into the heart of the phrag patch below the sewer plant and to the few remaining ponds left in there. There are still some deep spots, and it won't be like strollling down the sidewalk, but the path is cut and foot soldiers will once again have acces to some of the ponds in that huge phrag patch. Big thanks to the FFSL for stepping up and helping out regular hunters willing to walk in to the marsh! If you utlilze this path, please post up your thoughts, as they want some feedback to determine if it is a worthy project to expand in the future.
    R

[​IMG]

2. tallbuck

tallbuck Refuge Member

This is a great thing, and thanks to all the hard work!!!!!:yes:yes:yes

I would have much rather seen the time and energy put into other areas of the marsh that could gain us access. Look at the Layton marsh areas for example. If there were better trails and access points to then spread out people and also gain access to other ponds and water points then it would be a win- win all around.... personally I never have had an issue with getting to the ponds where your map points out.

I hope that in the future maybe some other areas and trails might be created of walk in access areas around the GSL.

Just my .02

Tallbuck

3. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

There are only a very few places that State Sovereign Lands are not blocked by private landholders. This path is probably the best bang for the buck for a trial path. The path through the actual phrag is 1/3 of a mile long. I can't imagine busting through 12 foot tall phrag for 1/3 of a mile...I have a hard time going 30 feet in that stuff. I doubt a trail will happen in Layton due to the lack of access to the state boundary.
    R

4. honker_slayer

honker_slayer Senior Refuge Member

That was quick jeff we were just talking about that at the stamp contest.
    they finaly listened to you. thanks for all your hard work. Never hunted over there might have to try it this year!:tu

5. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

I recently scouted Ogden Bay and walked through areas where the cattle had been. The cattle had created some nice trails through the phrags, which helped to get from place to place. So any holes they can punch through the phrags will be helpful. While they're at it maybe they can take a bulldozer in there and scrape out some new ponds.

In any event, rjefre you are the man when it comes to making waterfowling better. Thank you for all you do. I know that I personally have benefitted from your efforts and from those who work with you. Thank you.

6. Love-to-hunt

Love-to-hunt Elite Refuge Member

+100:grvn