Newest Daisy Cutter model

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Greenhead Rocker, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:41 PM.

1. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

What's everyone's thoughts on the latest Daisy Cutter. I've seen some videos, but just wondering what the general thoughts are on how it compares to the older versions, say pre scroll and half scroll versions. I haven't had a RNT in a long time and thought about trying a DC and one of the Mondo versions this season.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Seems like every newer iteration is supposed to be as close as they could get it to the old ornery ones' sound without being ornery. But I'd not want to bet you can have the old tone without the old handling issues. Know I've not tried anything more recent than the 40th Anniversary model that was "supposed to be..." but didn't get as close to my half-scroll's harshness as I was able to get the iteration just before it with a touch of toneboard reshaping. A long-winded way of saying that I'm no help at all with your search for information on the current version.

Will, however, add for other browsers that not sounding like the early ones doesn't mean the newer DCs aren't good calls. I loved my half-scroll's tone enough that it got way more chances to prove itself on birds than any other call I don't still use, and they thought it was "just OK". I've gotten a whole lot more real good out of a newer DC toneboard with a reed I'd originally tuned for teal and found to be versatile enough for all kinds of squacky big duck stuff, too - and great fun to run.

(My home-sanded early DC clone, like the half-scroll before it, had its chance in the field but wound up being my "go-to" practice call, as practicing with the contrary thing is a bit like running in sand before moving to hard ground and makes the calls I hunt with seem all the slicker handling.)

3. Greenhead Rocker

I hear you and thanks for the input. I tried one of the 40th calls and it was ok, but not what I was looking for. Honestly, I've tried two of that spec. edition call that was pearl green/black with that odd looking silver band and the older style scroll work. I'm thinking they came out around 2014. Those two were the closest to my old pre scroll DC that I've found, but just not exactly what I was looking for and I've never cared for that more flared out lip and that weird looking band they were using. I probably should have kept them though. They were pretty good calls and were super snotty...at least the two I had were.

4. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i had one, stick n tone as usual

5. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

I like mine way more than the 40th. I bought one at scheels a few weeks ago on sale. Used it a whole bunch this weekend and really like the sound. I was a little worried I would miss my RM CWF. Thankfully I do not.

6. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Senior Refuge Member

I have 4 DC’s currently. 2-40th’s, one acrylic and one in hedge. A 2018 in coco, and an acrylic 2019.

Of them, the hedge is probably my favorite. The 40ths seem to me to take a little more air control than the ones after. But imo, the difference in sound isn’t much.

Having said all that, I like my CWF more.

7. Greenhead Rocker

I've been worried about that. I never had problems with my old one, but I guess I was just lucky.